Thursday, May 4, 2017

Camp NaNo Recap {apr. '17} // feat. My Dead Brain + SNIPPETS


Camp is over.

I'm still trying to figure out how the month of April went so fast. I was gone for 10 days, during which I probably wrote about 2,000 words. *coughs* So I only had 5k at the midpoint of the month.

That's when craziness happened.

As you might know, my wordcount goal was 30k. I turned into a wordnado (a word tornado--totally legit word, autocorrect) and ended up hitting my goal on Tuesday, the 25th. Obviously, 25k in 10 days was where I hit my limit, right? I couldn't go crazier than that.

HAHAHAhahaha...nope.

I had the ingenious idea to hit 40k. You know, I could handle 10k in 5 days. Why not?

WELLLL...I didn't exactly stop there. Two nights before Camp ended I decided to try for 50k. Yes, that's right. I wrote 13k in two days and did a full NaNo.

*pants* Needless to say, I'm rather exhausted now. Camp NaNo is over, and I won with 51,268 words.


(I totally didn't write 7,000 words on Sunday, nooope. *laughs at my mess of a story*)

There's no way I would have expected this. I thought I wouldn't even be able to reach my goal, much less add 20k to that. I wouldn't have made it without my friends who were always willing to war. (Jesseca, Faith, Savannah, Julia, Angela, Clara, Hannah...YOU ALL SAVED ME.) But somehow I survived and lived to tell the tale.

The craziest part is that I've determined to finish this novel this month. It's currently over 55k total, but I have no idea how much longer it will be. Maybe 30k more? I'M HOPING IT DOESN'T END UP BEING 100K OTHERWISE I'M DEAD. :P

Anywayyy. Pray for me, friends. Because I'm already feeling my dead brain revolting.

Now. I did say something about snippets, didn't I? *sighs heavily at my manuscript* I have a feeling I'll regret this buuuut here you go.

(Actually, I regret nothing. This story is a MESS but less messy than I thought. I LOVE IT. <3)

(My first collage for this novel! I'm rather pleased with it.)
~ ~ ~

PERI

“Get carsick?”

I switched my attention to Felix. With the sun sinking beneath the horizon, the reddish tint in his hair was much more pronounced. It surprised me how much like a chameleon his hair was. His gaze was directed at the road—thank goodness—but he still seemed to be watching me out of the corner of his eye.

“No,” I said. “I just . . . don’t like cars.”

He snorted. “That’s really explanatory. Care to elaborate?”

“No,” I barked, this time in a much sharper tone. I was too distracted by my queasy stomach and escalated heart rate to want to divulge any of my emotional trauma stories, especially to him.

“Now, now, no need to be touchy.” He made a turn, a little sharper than I thought necessary. I gripped the armrest like my life depended on it. Which it probably did.

“So, Miss Car Hater, do you have a resume?”

“Stop using those nicknames,” I ordered.

Felix’s mouth dipped up in a half-smile. “What nicknames?”

“You know, ‘miss nosy,’ ‘miss car hater,’ that sort of thing. It’s annoying.”

This time the smile was clear as the red in his hair. “Oh?”

I thought of a million ways to murder him, none of them very pleasant or very legal. Also, it would inevitably cause the car to crash, which was probably a bad idea.

~ ~ ~

FELIX

Peri turned over a book on my desk, peering at it curiously as she flipped open the cover. “What is this? I’ve never seen this book in your collection before.”

My heart leaped into my throat as I realized what she was reading. Bounding toward my desk, I snatched the journal out of her hands and hurriedly hid it behind my back. “Er, that’s rather confidential.”

A teasing glint sparkled in her eyes, and I knew I was done for. She stood and tried to sneak a peek behind my back. I moved away before she could see it.

“What are you hiding, Felix?” she asked, grin tugging at her lips.

Narrowing my eyes, I backed against the wall, trapping the book behind me. “What concern is it of yours, miss nosiness?”

Her eyebrows shot upward dramatically. “We’re back to the nicknames, are we?” Smirking, she crossed her arms. “You know, I could get quite violent if you continue to persist with those dreadful names.”

Tilting my chin up, I dared her to try. “You haven’t stopped being violent since the day I met you.”

She rolled her eyes. “Come on, I didn’t even punch you till the second day we met.”

“My apologies for exaggerating so much.”

~ ~ ~

FELIX

Taelon cocked his head, stared at me for a split second, and then continued pacing the room. “I’d wondered where you went, friend.”

Friend, I scoffed. He was the last person in the world I would call my friend.

Forcing a laugh, I said, “I’ve always preferred the solitary life. It’s quiet here.”

“Quiet and hidden, you mean,” the faerie replied. His pale lips twitched slightly.

Peri’s hand suddenly gripped my arm. A quick glance at her expression told me she was afraid.

Taelon tapped his polished shoe on the floor, then drew something out of his coat. I flinched and got ready to duck if necessary. However, when he pulled his hand back out, he simply held a piece of parchment, rolled up and tied together with a red ribbon.

He rolled the paper across my desk, where it came to stop next to my inkwell. I bent over my desk to pick it up but recoiled when I realized what was actually tying it together. That wasn’t a ribbon. It was hair.

My blood pumped faster through my veins. Cold anger surged through my entire body. This lock of hair was obviously intended as a warning. Taelon knew it because he stood across from me with a grin on his face.

“The crow will come, my friend,” he whispered. With that, he started toward the door. Something stopped him before he made it. Pausing, he glanced back at Peri. “I’m sorry, but I never asked your name, my dear.”

Her hand tightened around my arm. Voice strained, she replied, “You never told me yours.”

He chuckled, a sound similar to that of a snake. “You will know it soon enough.” Turning back to the door, he pulled it open and let the wind push it closed ominously.

Peri now turned wide eyes in my direction. “Who was that?”

I didn’t answer. I was too busy staring at the ground. Because on our freshly swept floor lay the jet-black feather of a crow.

~ ~ ~

FELIX

She smiled then—a real smile. The kind where you’re so happy that you can’t help but show all your teeth in one wide, toothy grin. She threw her arms around me, and I froze, suddenly at a loss as to what to do.

This was called hugging, I believed. Nobody had ever done it to me before, and I felt more than a little awkward at her gesture. She seemed to notice because she pulled away and cleared her throat, blushing.

Well, this is not uncomfortable at all, I thought, glancing at her and feeling my own cheeks growing hot. I shifted in my seat and tried desperately to change the subject.

~ ~ ~

PERI

I hurried down the porch steps, leaving him sitting there alone. The swing squeaked as he stood and raced after me, catching up faster than I liked.

“Now what’s wrong?” he asked.

I didn’t bother turning, not wanting him to see my face. Instead, I began rubbing more heat into my arms. Of course, I forgot my jacket again.

He sighed in frustration, muttered something, and stripped off his own jacket, handing it to me. I looked at it like it was a piece of moldy cheese.

“Just take it,” he barked, thrusting it into my hands.

I shoved it right back at him. No way was I wearing his coat. I’d have to be suffering from hypothermia to even consider it.

The veins in Felix’s neck were bulging just slightly. He squeezed the lapel of his jacket so hard that I was surprised it didn’t rip. “You’ll freeze if you don’t take it.”

Putting on a fake smile, I said, “Oh, don’t be dramatic, Felix. Isn’t that what you told me before?”

He kicked a rock across the sidewalk. Muttering, he shoved his arms back in his coat and jammed his hands in the pocket. “Of all the impossible females.”

~ ~ ~

PERI


“How much further is it?” I asked.

He rolled his eyes, a bit of the Felix I knew making a cameo. “Do you have to be so nosy?”

“It’s called being curious,” I said with a smirk.

“Maybe you should take up better hobbies, like stamp collecting. That’s far less aggravating when you’re trying to drive.”

I shook my head and tilted my chair back a little, just because I knew it would annoy him. Sure enough, he glanced over at me and glowered.

“Stop bending the seats out of shape,” he commanded.

“The seats were meant to be lowered.” Still, I moved the seat back to its original position, though I muttered a little about it under my breath.

The road began to steepen. Instinctively, I grabbed the armrest. We climbed higher up, my heart rate climbing with the road.

“Is it just me or is the air thinner up here?” I asked, not entirely kidding. My lungs felt like they were being squeezed a bit due to my anxiety.

He snorted. “Mountain air is thinner, but it’s not thin enough for you to act so dramatic.”

~ ~ ~

*grins because I love my characters* They're kind of difficult to manage, but hey, you do what you can for your babies. ;P


How did Camp NaNo go for you all? Did you meet your goals? And what's your favorite snippet? (I love anything with Felix basically. #Felixismine ;D)



(P.S. HAPPY STAR WARS DAY! I actually finished my college classes already--HUZZAH--so I can properly celebrate this year. *pulls out all the movies*)

12 comments:

  1. OH MY WORD, MARY. YOU DID A FULL NANOWRIMO. ON A MONTH YOU WERE ON VACATION. I just... Wow. WOW.

    YOU
    AMAZE
    MEEE!!!!

    AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! *THROWS ALLLLLL THE GLITTER* You ARE a Wordnado! (And I'm totally adopting that word. That is the BEST.) I sooo admire your tenacity to keep going too. YOU CAN DO THISSSS. *waves pompoms* And I'm sooo glad you're keeping it going because THIS STORYYYYYY.

    THESE SNIPPETS, MARY. THE SNIPPETS. EEEEEEEE!!!!!! I LOVE THEMMMM. Peri and Felix are THE. BEST. I love how they BOTH constantly look for ways to annoy each other. And both apparently succeed very well too. XD
    "I thought of a million ways to murder him, none of them very pleasant or very legal." THIS THO. XDDD I love Peri's voice. She's hilarious!
    But but but FELIX HAS NEVER BEEN HUGGED????? D: My heart is already breaking for him and I don't even know anything about him! THESE CHARRIES ARE PRECIOUS.

    Also just the story in general. I loooove how it's set in our world, but with threads of magic in it. That style of story is amazing! AND YOUR COLLAGE. It's all so cozy but magical and just SDKLFJ:LKJDSL:FJD. KEEP WRITING. BECAUSE WE NEEDS THIS STORY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MARY. THE SNIPPETS. I CAN'T.

    Seriously, I love your story SO SO SO much. It looks amazing and I want to beta it incredibly bad, you had no idea. I can't wait until you finish it, because it's going to be AWESOME. <3 <3 <3

    And YES the word wars were epic *highfive*. Even if you won basically EVERY time xD. But I guess that IS what comes of being a glitter queen, and all ;). Extra writing skills *nodnod*.

    ANYWAYS. AMAZING job getting 50k (must be more of your glitter queen magic), my friend! I can't wait until next NaNo :D.

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. MARY, YOU. ARE. AMAZING! AND THESE SNIPPETS ARE KILLING ME! AND FELIX!!!! GAHHHHHH *dies* *revives to finish writing comment* Pretty much, I am so glad to have been able to war with you, and all the others in the chat! Having word wars really got me through Nano. ALIVE.:p It was a blast, and I am so excited for Camp July!
    Ohh and happy Star Wars day, and congrats on finishing your college classes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your snippets are so beautiful!! Your characters sound awesome! Felix doesn't know. . . what a HUG is? Talk amongst yourselves while I try to imagine that sad state of being. . . "Well, this is not uncomfortable at all." This is hilarious! Your story sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOODNESS I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU FINISHED. THAT IS EPIIIIIIICCC. CONGRATS!!!!
    *attempts to stop talking in caps and fails* THOSE SNIPPETS ARE SO AWESOME. ❤❤❤ And I am SO glad to see someone using alternating first person!! I'm doing that in my WIP and really wasn't sure about it.
    Seriously, you are an amazing person. *tries to stop fangirling over snippets* *fails* Okay, I'm done now.šŸ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
  6. TEACH ME HOW TO WRITE FAST. GOOD GRACIOUS IS THIS LEGAL/HUMANLY POSSIBLE

    also the scene about hugging though xD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh... the snippets make me really want to read the whole thing. XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. HOW. *squints* Are you even human, Mary?? You did a full NaNo in basically half a month?? (fine 46k but STILL) Your next post had better be on how you DID that! xD

    And those snippets are sweet. And snarky. And all-round adorable. <3

    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'm new here. (Only the second time visiting this page, first since following.) I just wanted to let you know that your writing skills are amazing! I'm not likely to comment very often, but I just wanted to say hi.

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  10. AAAHHHH!!! I still can't believe that you basically did A FULL NANOWRIMO last month! You are AWESOME! And Felix.... HE IS THE BEST!!!! "Mountain air is thinner, but it’s not thin enough for you to act so dramatic.”

    Micaiah
    www.notebooksandnovels.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I happened to tag you. =)
      http://www.notebooksandnovels.com/2017/05/the-sunshine-blogger-tag.html

      Delete
  11. Congrats! :D That's amazing!!!

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey, look at you. You found the comments section. *applauds* So proud.

Now, if you're nice and keep your comment clean, I miiiiight just give you a cookie. *grins*