Thursday, April 13, 2017

Camp NaNo Update #1 (Week 2) // Traveling + I'M SO BEHIND


(I'm just going to admit that I totally forgot about posting today like ooooops.)

HELLO, ALL. I have been meaning to do a Camp NaNo update but...well, life has been crazy and writing has gone out the window.

As you may or may not know, my goal for Camp this month was 30k. That equates to writing 1k a day, which means I should be at 13k right now. HAHAHA...nope. Currently, I'm hiding behind my measly 5,207 words and feeling like a total writing failure. :P

For some reason, Camp is always way harder for me now than regular NaNo. We always seem to have a trip planned, and I end up not writing at all while I'm gone. *headdesk* It's so frustrating, and I wish I could figure out how to motivate myself/find the time and space to write. But...I just can't.

UGH. I'm in a hard place right now, guys, and I'm trying to remind myself that it's okay. I'll get over this slump hopefully when I get back from our trip.

Anywayyyy, now that I'm done sharing some of my struggles, would you care for a couple snippets? I only have 5k to choose from, so don't expect anything that great. XD

~ ~ ~ 

I began picking my way through the stacks of books, careful not to knock over any of the precariously high towers. A bright blue binding to the left snatched my attention. Curious, I bent over and removed it from the shelf. Something skittered across my hand, making me yelp and drop the book in surprise.

“I would really appreciate it if you didn’t drop any priceless antiques on the floor.”

I jumped again and whirled my head to face the source of the voice. Looking annoyed, a young man of about twenty years observed me from his position leaning against a shelf. His hair was a color I had never seen before. It was neither red nor blond nor brown . . . rather, it was stuck somewhere in the middle of the three. He observed me with a critical eye, looking me up and down with disdain.

Feeling uncomfortable beneath his gaze, I felt color flush my cheeks. Great, make him think you’re blushing. That’s really smart.

I cleared my throat and glanced at the blue-bound book on the floor. “Sorry about that. Something startled me. I thought maybe a mouse was hiding in the book.”

A look of offense crossed his face. He scowled at me and picked up the book. “That mouse was Pizzicato. Maybe he wouldn’t have startled you if you had the sense to not disturb his home.”

“Who’s Pizzicato?”

He rolled his eyes. “Haven’t you read the sign?” When I didn’t give a reply, he continued, “Pizzicato is a hedgehog, and if you had bothered to look at the sign before you burst in here uninvited, maybe you would have known that.”

I bristled. His rudeness was beginning to make me angry, and I felt my fists clench involuntarily at my sides. “Well, excuse me, but the sign didn’t exactly say ‘watch out for hedgehogs hiding in the bookshelves.’ Maybe you should keep a better watch over your pet instead of letting him run rampant in a store.”

Smirking, he said, “Pizzicato is not my pet. What a horrifying idea.” He slid the book back into its position on the shelf and wiped his hands off on his pants. Squinting, he regarded me again. “What do you want anyway?”

Biting back a bitter response, I said, “I’m looking for the owner. There was a job posting in the window that I was interested in discussing.”

“Ah, so you do read. How shocking.”

I crossed my arms, tempted to shove him into one of the bookshelves and start a book avalanche.

~ ~ ~

Finally, I saw a figure zipping across the lawn between the schools. With his surprisingly long legs and unzipped jacket, I could already tell it was my brother. I felt a smile tug at my lips. My little squirt of a brother would be taller than me soon, but I wasn’t quite ready to admit that.

He bounded up the stairs, taking them two at a time even with the slippery surface. Panting, he shook the water droplets from his dripping brown hair. “I sure hope you brought your umbrella for once.”

I ignored his question and motioned at his unzipped jacket. He hurriedly zipped it up, shooting me a look that clearly said he wasn’t happy.

Starting down the steps, I held my hand above my head like a visor, hoping that would at least somewhat protect my glasses from becoming splotched with rainwater. Nothing was worse than having blurry vision from a pair of splotched glasses.

Quentin raced behind me, pulling ahead and jogging backward to stare at me. “Hey, did your legs shrink or something, Peri? ‘Cause it’s pretty easy to beat you nowadays.”

I snorted. “Sure it is, Tinner.”

He narrowed his eyes at me. “You promised you wouldn’t use that nickname anymore.”

“Well, maybe I wouldn’t if you didn’t act like an idiot half the time.”

He rolled his eyes and took off in a run. “Last one home has to eat the leftover casserole!”

Just the thought of that burnt ham, asparagus, and potato casserole sent me flying down the street, splashing water on my brother’s face as I passed him.

“Bon appetit!” I called over my shoulder.

~ ~ ~ 

*coughs because my snippets seem really lame*

Well, that's really all I have for you right now. Sadly, Camp NaNo is just not working out for me right now. I'm over 8k behind, and I doubt I'll be catching up that much until after Easter. :P If you want to keep up with my wordcount, stalk me over here and send me emails telling me to write. XD


How is writing going for you all? If you're doing Camp, is that going okay? Also, what is your opinion on sibling relationships in books? I personally find them a ton of fun to write. ;)



(P.S. You still have time to try to win a special prize from yours truly! Just check out my 10 Truths and 2 Lies post here.)

10 comments:

  1. YOU CAN DO IT!! GO. WRITE. WIN.

    Also I can totally relate to falling behind and lowkey panicking. XD My novel is the worst, and I actually decided to switch to a different one this morning. Hopefully that makes things better. Somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, Mary! You should NOT be hard on yourself. I mean, GIRL. YOU'RE ON VACATION. You should, in no way, feel obligated to write a single word right now. You need to just enjoy the trip and refuel! And besides, Camp is just there for fun and to get some words in, which you've already done! So please, please, PLEASE don't feel guilty. You're doing great and deserve to just enjoy your vacation writing-free if you want!

    And AAAAAHHHHHHHH, MARY. WHAT DO YOU MEAN THOSE SNIPPETS ARE LAME? They're so CUTE!!! I mean, THERE IS A HEDGEHOG. IN A BOOKSHOP. EXCUSE ME WHILE I DIE FROM CUTENESS. And, um, like. From that single snippet I may already be in love with this bookshop guy. O.o

    And I LOOOOOOVE sibling relationships in books! I'm always so excited when a book has a good sibling relationship, and it looks like your siblings are adorable!

    This book is going to be AWESOME, Mary! But for now just enjoy your vacation, okay? There's plenty of time to write later. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing better than me! I mean, I was halfway through my book when I quit because it was too hard :P and that was like a week ago. It's great. I haven't written anything since then - although I've gotten some work done on my TBR so that's really nice. (And added a bajillion books to it, so...)
    Good luck! You can do it!
    thefloridsword.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO BASICALLY EVERYTHING CHRISTINE SAID IS WHAT I WOULD SAY. *nods heartily* Enjoy every minute of your trip, don't beat yourself up, and good golly I am in love with your snippets! There's something about sass and books and characters who love both that just caaaaalls my naaaaame. <3 Plus there's a hedgehog! I don't think I've ever read a novel with one in it before!

    Sibling relationships are the best! Highly underrated in YA, methinks. So I love what you've got going here, and I especially related to Peri's nonverbal reminder to Quentin to zip up his jacket. XD #bigsister

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOODNESS. That first snippet! Makes me want to read the book it comes out of!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I am so sorry Camp has been so stressful! I'll be praying for you. Writing can be so easy one day, and then the next day it's like pulling teeth. >:(

    ALL writers hate their snippets--I'm beginning to think it's universal. Because Savannah Grace always apologizes for dumping her awesomeness on her readers too. Your snippets are great, okay? You've got this! And oh my gosh, a HEDGEHOG?? Hedgehogs are the best. <3
    Siblings. . . If they're done well, I LOVE it. But I'm VERY picky. So it varies a lot from story to story. Sometimes I think books depict the main characters siblings as unhelpful, hindering, and. . . not very bright. That drives me INSANE--probably just because I think my siblings are super awesome. All that to say, I guess it just depends. It sounds like you could have a pretty cool sibling thing going on here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hah, well I'm at 4.5k, out of 15, so I understand the feeling. ;) I'm also having trouble just sitting down and WRITING (also there's this thing called life, and it keeps attacking whenever I think about writing?) (I'm sorry, I have no help to offer.) *gives lamingtons instead* *maybe they'll help??*

    Sibling relationships can be AWESOME. I should write some. My MCs all seem to be single children, somehow - the ones that aren't... *whispers* /orphans/. *covers face*

    And I love your excerpts! Especially the bookstore one, it just has a really cool feel about it. (I can't believe that's NaNo writing! Do you edit as you write?)

    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey I'm behind too, because I had company! You're not alone. Write hard and you'll catch up. ^ ^ Don't give up!

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE YOUR SNIPPETS. They're so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your snippets are /amazing/, Mary. Seriously. I loved the first one, especially. It put me right in the library. Also Hedgehogs. <3 *grins*

    Heh. NaNo. *casually kicks novel behind a door* NaNo is difficult when you're sick most of the month. And then have Easter. Then school. I definitely agree. November NaNo is /sooo/ much easier to focus in.

    Sibling relationships are the greatest! Especially when they're very real. You know, the whole "I will fight you day in and out but as soon as anyone threatens you they'll have to go through me first" kind.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, look at you. You found the comments section. *applauds* So proud.

Now, if you're nice and keep your comment clean, I miiiiight just give you a cookie. *grins*