Thursday, April 20, 2017

10 Truths and 2 Lies Results + Ramblings + Sunshine Blogger Award


The results of 10 Truths and 2 Lies were, uh, rather interesting...

Apparently I made the questions too hard?? Because literally no one guessed the two lies. I feel a bit bad because I didn't even know they were that hard. SORRYYYY. If it makes you feel better, even my sister and bestie couldn't get the answers right. #ouch (Don't worry, I actually think it's quite hilarious that I could trick you all mwahahaha.) I wish I could give you all a prize as consolation, but sending out fifteen prizes is a little too much stress for me. XD

SO. I guess I'll try this again sometime but make it slightly easier? Ahem. *coughs*

The two lies are actually:

5.) I used to wear contacts. (Gosh, no. The thought of putting things in my eyeballs terrifies me. *shudders* I got glasses when I was 11, though.)

8.) My biggest fear is spiders. (Haha...I am terrified of them, but needles are my number one fear. I'm absolutely a mess when I go to the doctor's.)

Some of you said you wanted to hear the story behind the other ones...so I might explain that in a future post if you're still interested. ;)

// In Which I Ramble //


- Apparently I reached 500 followers on Pinterest a week or two ago. WOW. I've had my account for two years now, so it definitely didn't happen overnight. But my aesthetic boards have been infinitely more popular than I thought they would be, and they've probably contributed about 130 followers in the past two months. IT'S CRAZY.

- I'm still behind on Camp NaNo, but I reached 12k last night! Still 8k behind, but I'm hoping to change that over the weekend. This week has been uncharacteristically slow since my psychology class is done (HALLELUJAH), so I'm using that extra time to add to my word count a little.

But for some reason, I'm finding it so hard to write this novel. I can't get seem to get the plot moving, and it feels awkward writing in only one point of view for some reason. I just feel like it's not totally working out?

In fact, I wanted to ask your guys' opinion on something: what do you think of dual first-person POVs? (In other words, having two characters use first-person.) I have mixed feelings about it myself, but I feel like this story is just not working as it is. First-person feels natural for one of my main characters, and yet, I really feel like the other one needs his own POV. Should I switch to third-person and do POVs for both characters? Should I do dual first-person POVs? Should I stick with what I have now? I HONESTLY DON'T KNOW. I would really appreciate your guys' honest opinions!



- I got a Kindle Fire this week, and I'M LOVING IT. Seriously, it's the best. I've had my iPad for almost five years now, so it's nice to have a newer tablet where I actually have space to install Spotify and Pinterest apps. And the best part? It was free. My orthodontist gives out these tokens for things like wearing the t-shirt they give you, arriving on time to your appointment, taking care of your teeth, etc. So I saved all my tokens to get the Kindle Fire! I maaaay be a little in love. <3

- I'm way ahead in my reading challenge this year, thanks to spring break. I've already read 25 books, and I'm really hoping I can continue this pace. Most of the books I've read have been really good, too, so that's a plus. (Though I'm really not sure what to think of the one I'm currently reading. The MC is driving me a little insane. -_-)


// Sunshine Blogger Award //


My sweet friend Tracey tagged me for the Sunshine Blogger Award about a month ago, and I couldn't resist doing it. After all, this is Sunshine and Scribblings. ;)

Basically, I just need to answer the questions, ask 11 new ones, and tag 11 people. Ready? Let's do this!

(Found on Pinterest.)


1. What's the most addicting app on your phone?


Wellll...my phone doesn't have any apps on it since it's a TracFone (look that up, kids ;)). However, I refer to my iPad as my "phone" because it is essentially a lot like an iPhone. *shrugs* 

I'd have to say that Spotify and Pinterest are my favorite apps, by far. I just got them on my Kindle Fire, and I use them a lot now. Also, I quite like Color Switch, even though I'm not addicted to it. I only play it occasionally now, but it's pretty fun.

2. What's a song that speaks to your life right now?

Oh, look! An excuse to use my Spotify app. *cough*

*pulls up playlists* Carry Me by Urban Rescue (aka one of my favorite groups ever) has really been speaking to me lately. I also have an entire playlist of music from this month that I've been listening to basically 24/7.




3. Do you have a book or movie that's your "happy place"--a fictional world into which you retreat when you need a breather? What is it?

ALL OF THE LORD OF THE RINGS MOVIE, PRECIOUS. Those movies give me all the warm fuzzies of being home in the Shire, and the characters are like family. <3

(Found on Pinterest.) Isn't Frodo's smile sweet??

As far as books are concerned, probably The Penderwicks series by Jeanne Birdsall. This series has quickly become a favorite of mine, and I always feel so happy when I read them. 

4. What's a book you were (or are) looking forward to so much you're scared to read it, for fear it won't live up to your expectations?

A few examples come to mind. The Tales of Goldstone Wood series by Anne Elisabeth Stengl and any Ted Dekker books. At this point, I have now read three Goldstone Wood books, andddd...I was really disappointed.

I don't know why, but I just don't like them. It is a painful process for me to read one. And the worst news? I bought most of the series when it was discounted so I'm stuck with them. (No, I'm not giving them away because they still cost $20 on sale. *faints*) I feel like there's something wrong with me because I don't like them, and it's frustrating. But hey, at least their covers are photogenic. :P

I still haven't read a Ted Dekker book yet because there's so much hype surrounding them, and I'm honestly scared I'll have the same reaction as I did to Tales of Goldstone Wood. I will read one soon, though, because Dekker is the keynote speaker at Realm Makers. 

5. If you had to have all of your past memories wiped except for one day, which day would you choose to remember?

WHY THE HARD QUESTIONS? Ugh...let's see here.

I would have to say either the day I finished my first novel, Moonlit Mirror, or the day I went back to Disneyland for the first time in nearly 8 years. Those two days were both amazing. <3


6. What question would you like to ask one of your favorite authors?


To Wayne Thomas Batson: WHEN WILL BOOK THREE OF THE DARK SEA ANNALS COME OUT?? *clears throat* (I've been waiting for years and haven't heard anything. #ineedmorebooks)

To C.S. Lewis: Would you have written more about Susan? I'd like to believe that you had more to say about her.

To Jane Austen: Did you ever laugh out loud while writing your novels? (Come on, they're brilliant and hilarious. I've gotta know.)


7. If you had to describe yourself as one of the four seasons, which would it be?

Just going to say it, I love this question. 

I'd probably say I'm the most like fall. I can be warm and colorful and expressive, but also reserved and cool.



8. What's your personality type? (Myers Briggs, DISC, whichever test you prefer.)

I'm an INFJ. (And I'm 99% introverted. Yeahhhhh. :P)

9. An envelope containing $500 shows up on your doorstep. On what do you spend it?

Well, if that happened, I'd probably be a little weirded out. (Because that just feels like ransom money or something. XD) 

I'd be that boring person and save most of it. But I'd definitely spend some of it on books. Obviously. *nods*

10. Would you rather be trapped in a lamp, a tower, or an enchanted sleep?

OOH, these are really creative questions. I'd have to say either a tower or enchanted sleep. In the tower, I could do stuff like write, read, blog (assuming there's wifi up there XD), and play violin. However, in an enchanted sleep, I could dream all kinds of crazy stuff, which is always fun. 

11. Which Disney villain(ess) do you find the most scary?

Clayton from Tarzan is mildly terrifying, as is Dr. Facilier from The Princess and the Frog (though I've only seen that movie once and don't remember it that well). Probably one of those two, although I was always freaked out by the scene in The Great Mouse Detective with Sir Rattigan in the clock. THAT WAS FREAKY, OKAY?

My Questions


1. Do you like to read an entire series at once or spread out the books over time?
2. Would you rather be stuck in the past or the future?
3. Have you ever had dream re-runs? (In other words, the same dream twice. XD)
4. What is your favorite vacation you've ever taken?
5. Do you like to chew gum? If so, what is your favorite flavor?
6. If you found the entrance to Narnia, would you tell anybody? Who would you take with you if you did?
7. Waffles, pancakes, or neither?
8. Do you use the Shift key or the Caps Lock key every time you capitalize something? (Odd question, but it's something I always wonder, haha.)
9. What is one smell that never fails to make you happy?
10. Have you ever been rollerskating?
11. You've gone into hiding and have to conceal your identity. What new alias would you adopt?

My Victims


Christine || Musings of an Elf
Miss March || Sunshiny Corner
Morgan || Turning the Page

(I actually followed the rules this time and tagged 11 people! Aren't you proud??)

Thanks so much for the tag, Tracey! It was loads of fun to do. ^_^ Oh, and to all those I tagged: don't worry if you don't want to do the tag/never get around to it. Believe me, I of all people certainly understand. XD

Well, you made it through this post. *gives you cookies* Any advice on my novel's POV problem? What is your MBTI personality? 

13 comments:

  1. That's so funny none of us got the answer right to your truth and lie game. XDDD You're just a tricksy hobbitses. :P But YES. I do want to hear some of these stories. Like you having to ride in an ambulance, and going through a dust devil. o.O

    Congrats on reaching 12k words!!!!! That's so awesome! I'm sorry the novel is being hard though! D: I toootally understand writing in first person, and then realizing you want to have POVs from other characters. One of my stories (Fallen Matter) is like that. I wrote the whole thing in first-person, but I'm thinking if I ever rewrite it (which I need to), I may switch back to my usual third-person, multiple POVs. Sometime it's just too restraining having only one POV. With that said, dual first-person isn't MY favorite style (but that may just be me!). BUT I think each book has a certain way that works best for it. I don't like present tense or first-person all that much, but I couldn't see The Hunger Games any other way. It wouldn't be good without it. So I think you should do what YOU think your story needs. Maybe even play around with different styles. Try dual first-person in one chapter, then switch to third-person in the next chapter and see what feels right. This is a first draft after all. So just play with it! Have fun! I know you'll find just the right style. Stories have a magically way of telling us which ways work best for them after a while. ^_^

    That's too awesome you got a Kindle Fire and for FREE!!!

    The LotR movies are my happy place tooooo! ALWAYS. <3333

    Mary, it's OKAY you don't like the Goldstone Wood books. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU DON'T EVEN THINK SUCH THINGS. They don't have to be universally loved. I actually tend to read them reeeally slowly because they are pretty heavy, flowery books. I absolutely understand that not being everyone's cup of tea. There is no shame in not liking them! I do hate you spent so much money on books you don't like though. That's always a bummer. :(

    I loved your questions for C.S. Lewis and Jane Austen. XD I do wish we had gotten more of Susan. Her story ending feels so empty... And surely Jane Austen laughed at her own stories. They're just too great! XD

    I just loved reading all your answer to everything. And I LOVE the questions you came up with! THANK YOU FOR TAGGING ME!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. INFJ YASSSSS. We tend to be writers, don't we? I've always wondered why that is.
    SPOTIFY!!!!!!!!!!! 'Nough said.
    Keep going on your novel. YOU CAN DO IT I KNOW YOU CAN. And if you don't make it- I mean, I quit my book halfway through and ten days into the thing and I haven't looked back once. It's been so relaxing.
    Oh, I hope I don't have the same reaction to Goldstone Wood. I just ordered four of the books in the series with my birthday money. I love the first one, so hopefully the other ones will be okay...?
    I love this kind of tag with the random questions because they're just TOO MUCH FUN. I love getting to know everybody, and the questions are so great.
    thefloridsword.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way! I was so confident. ;)

    Hmm. HMMMM. That's a good question about POVs. The thing is I rarely read a book and think, "Wow, that would have been so much better if the author had written it in a different person." Like, either can be as great or as awful as the author makes it, rather than one being inherently better than the other, necessarily. Does that make sense? Oh, the one thing I DO NOT LIKE is head-hopping within a single scene, so don't do that and everything will turn out fine. ;)

    (bottom line: I have no idea what I'm talking about, so take everything I say with a grain of salt)

    Wow, congratulations on your success in the reading challenge! 0.0

    Lord of the Rings= alll the feels, precious.

    You know, I'm 90% sure I read somewhere that C. S. Lewis believed Susan eventually ended in Aslan's Country. But don't quote me on that.

    Aaahh, thank you for tagging me! I was rather hoping you would. xD It could be a while till I get to it, but I intend to. :)

    And, my MBTI personality is INFJ. I think. None of them perfectly describe me, but that's what the survey results said. *INFJ high-five*

    ReplyDelete
  4. MBTI type? Also INFJ :-)

    I think multiple first-person POVs is absolutely fine, just as long as you make clear who's speaking when (because otherwise it gets too confusing). One of my very favorite novels ever, "Salt to the Sea" by Ruta Sepetys, has four separate 1st-person POVs and it works beautifully. Elizabeth Wein also did multiple 1st-person POVs in "Black Dove, White Raven," another book I really love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our MBTI is so close! I'm INFP. :)

    And that's so funny that even your sister couldn't guess the lies. Do you mind if I do 10 truths and a lie on my blog? It's such a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's interesting no one got the two lies! Ah well, at least I got one of them. ;)

    WOW! 500 followers on Pinterest? Good for you!

    LOTR!!!!! <3 <3 Love it!!

    I have read some of Ted Dekker's books. I personally liked Blessed Child and A Man Called Blessed. They are really good! My whole family LOVES The Circle series. Although, I have never read them...yet. :)

    Thank you for the tag!! I look forward to answering the questions!! :D

    Blessings ~ Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  7. MARY THANK YOU! I was stuck for post ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you don't mind I've followed you from my new personal account for trusted friends :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay. *clears throat* I wouldn't presume to give anyone advice as a writer, but as a /reader/, I have a little experience. ;)

    I've read a few books with two 1st-person POVs. I recall occasionally being confused as to whose head a new chapter was in, but that was always because I am an impatient dragon and had skipped the chapter number + heading which said very clearly whose POV it was. xD So I think if it feels like two characters need 1st person POVs, go ahead!

    Another INFJ here :) (I think? I mean, some of them were fairly split, but INFJ is what I ended up with.)

    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my word, THOSE were the lies? I NEVER would have guessed those two! You made them so believable--I mean, you wear glasses, so contacts make sense, and I'm pretty sure you've talked about not liking spiders before!
    I guess if your SISTER couldn't guess right, we shouldn't feel bad. ;)

    Aw, Lord of the Rings is my favorite too!! "The characters feel like family." I love it! #allthefeels
    I disliked movie-Frodo for a long time, simply because he wasn't exactly like I imagined him while reading the books. While I still picture him a bit different in the books, I've started to really love his on-screen person too. <3 And yes, he has an amazing smile. I really love hearing you talk about the L.R., because you have such a different perspective on it, it helps me think about it in new ways!

    As for your writing question, dual first person has always felt "off" to me, but I've never read a whole story in it, so I'm willing to believe it could be done quite well! And I DO think it'd be neat to give both your characters some POV time.
    Also, how much of this story is going to take place in the bookstore? "I crossed my arms, tempted to shove him into one of the bookshelves and start a book avalanche." <-- BECAUSE SCENES WITH ALL THOSE BOOKS SOUNDS EPIC. Especially if you add a hedgehog. . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tag! I will fill it out... eventually. Maybe later this week.

    I think dual POV characters is fine, as long as you don't hop from one to another without warning. It's only when I'm confused about whose POV I'm reading that I'm annoyed by multiples. If you do scene breaks or chapter breaks between them and are always clear who is narrating, why not???

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for the tag, Mary! Your questions are so fun and I hope I may do them....but if I end up not, I hope you won't mind. I feel as if I'm always behind on blog posts ideas I want to do, and half of them end up never being published. :/ If I don't, thank you again, though! I DO really appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. AAAAAAAAAAAAAH you've seen The Great Mouse Detective!! I always thought the part with Fidget in the dark shop was the scariest XD I love that movie though <3 <3 Basil's the best. Ugh and the cat O.O K, I'm done.

    Honestly I forgot everything else I read when I read the part about that movie, so :P Thanks so much for the tag, though! I will totally answer some of those questions in my newsletter!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, look at you. You found the comments section. *applauds* So proud.

Now, if you're nice and keep your comment clean, I miiiiight just give you a cookie. *grins*