Wednesday, October 12, 2016

The Eye of the Storm

Hurricane Matthew

For those of you who aren't already aware, I just survived a hurricane.

Hurricane Matthew, which at one point was a Category 5, has already claimed over a thousand lives, most of them in the impoverished nation of Haiti. It was a powerhouse of wind and waves, with winds gusting up to 160 miles per hour at one point.

And it was headed right toward us.

In all honesty, I was terrified. Although I craved an element of excitement in my life, the idea of a monster of a storm hitting us frightened me. All the models started pointing it right in our direction, predicting that it would make landfall almost right where I lived.

As the models grew more and more certain, we packed our bags and stuffed our minivan full of stuff. I boxed up my books and stored away as many of them in my closet as possible. A part of me wondered whether or not I would ever see my home again. Sure, our home was supposed to be extremely sturdy; but fear claimed a part of my heart and made me doubt.

Yet something happened. Something that could only be called a miracle.

The storm shifted.

Instead of making landfall, the hurricane veered 20 miles off course. Those 20 miles made all the difference. There was only minimal damage, with some trees, signs, and fences down. A few shingles were blown off some houses. The gate to our fence blew off its hinges. But we were miraculously saved.
{Source}

Someone intervened. Someone who has power over the wind and the waves. Someone who holds the seas in the palm of His hand.

Someone who calms.

In all this turmoil, God whispered something to my disquieted soul: Be still.

I tried to combat this with my anxious thoughts. I have too much to prepare. There's no time for relaxing.

Yet He persisted. Be still.

My restless heart could still not be persuaded. But what if it hits? What if we lose everything?

He whispered, Be still and know that I am God.



I continued to ignore His voice. Deep inside, I knew who was really in control. But I wasn't sure if He could really do it. After all, how could the hurricane miraculously shift when all the models seemed to say otherwise?

But I had forgotten something: there is calm in the storm.

He is the eye of the storm. As paradoxical as it may seem, when we are at our lowest point, when a hurricane of troubles seems to be pounding us mercilessly, we can find rest in the middle of it all. There is a calm that can be found in the very core of our troubles when we look to the right source. Just like the eye of the storm, God is a steady source of peace. In His presence, we can find rest. Though the strongest gales may assail us just outside the eye, we can be still and know that He is God. 


{Source}
He is the author of the wind and waves.

He is the lighthouse in the swirling fog.

He is the calm in the storm.

The world may seem to be crashing down on us, like breakers on the ocean, but we need to remember why we're in the storm. Through the turbulence of life's sorrows and heartbreaks, worries and fears, we can find our greatest joy and peace if we only learn to be still.

Remember who spoke the world into existence. And find peace in the knowledge that He is holding our hand. He will not let our hand slip out of His grasp. His love is holding us.

It can be difficult to rest when everything seems to be going awry, but true peace can only come when we cast our cares upon the Creator. Letting go of our deepest fears and allowing Him to heal the scars is such a cleansing feeling. Only when we pass through the waves can we be broken enough to find peace. God puts us through the storm so that we can find the calm. He wants to ease our burdened hearts...if only we have the courage to be still.

<><><><><>

Here are some songs that have been ministering to me lately:




I've been meaning to write another devotional post for a long time, but no inspiration had really settled in until now. Leave it to God to work the worst things into beautiful revelations!

"Be still and know that I am God."
// Psalm 46:10 //

45 comments:

  1. Hi, Mary! I've been enjoying your posts for a while, and just haven't commented yet. But I couldn't help reading this post without commenting because I love your lyrical writing style in this one. Also, the message really resonated with me because I may not have had a hurricane threaten me recently, but I've had various little changes going in my life that seemed to add up into an overwhelming ball. When I was praying earlier tonight I realized that I was depending on myself rather than God to carry me through, and I just needed to let go and stop worrying. It's funny how we can so easily forget that the Creator of the universe is on our side. So I thought it was pretty cool when I saw you had a new post up, and it was on the same topic I was just thinking about. Thanks for the inspiration, and I'm sure this will be a post I'll be going back to whenever the storms rise again. I'm glad you all survived the hurricane; that's amazing.

    P.S. On a completely unrelated topic, have you thought of doing NaNoWriMo? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hullo there! Your comment just made my day. <3 I'm glad you've been enjoying my posts and that you decided to comment. ^_^

      Oh man...that's just amazing. God has perfect timing, doesn't He? I feel so blessed that He would use me to touch you in some way. I know we've all been there before, and it's so easy to depend on our own strength rather than God's.

      Thank you so much for your encouraging comment! It really lifted my heart!

      P.S. Well...I actually may or may not be posting about that sometime this month. So you're going to have to come back and see. ;)

      Delete
  2. So grateful that you're okay, and for God's protection! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily! He is incredible. <3

      Delete
  3. Oh, Mary! I'm so glad you're alright! Praise the Lord! He is so good to us! And it's great to be reminded that He really is in control, in all situations. No storm can stand against Him.

    Thanks for this beautiful and thought provoking post. So much truth in here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much, Miss March! You're absolutely right! The Lord is so merciful and gracious, and He's bigger than any storm.

      You're so welcome! Thank you for your lovely comment. :)

      Delete
  4. My Mary was almost hit by a hurricane *tries not to be scared by that fact, but still is*. I'M SO GLAD YOU'RE OKAY. I can't imagine what all of that must have been like for you! Thank you so much for this post - God is so amazing!

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awk, Savannah, you're the sweetest. <3 I'm so grateful for His provision! It was frightening, but God certainly spared us.

      Delete
  5. Literally this post gave me chills. That is so incredible. I love stories of how God touches the world and works wonders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been saying this so many times in the comment section, but it deserves being said again: God is amazing. I love the way He works things for good in all situations!

      Delete
  6. AAAAGH. MARY. I DID NOT KNOW YOU WERE ON THE PATH OF MATTHEW. As a survivor of a vicious tornado, I know how utterly terrifying that is. Thank you, God, for keeping my Mary safe! Oh my goodness. I'm just...I'm so grateful this was okay!

    And wow. Just wow. God. Is. AMAZING. This was so beautiful, and such a wonderful reminder. I tend to stress about the most ridiculous things, and God has to remind me to be still time and time again. I'm bad about not heeding His word... I need to remember to rest in Him, no matter the storms going on around me.

    Thank you so much for writing this. It was needed. And I'm so, SO glad you're okay! *huggles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHH, I REMEMBER READING YOUR POST ABOUT THE TORNADO. That is so terrifying. :O God has definitely shown His infinite care and grace to us both! I'm so grateful He kept my Lauri safe, too. <3

      It's something I struggle with all the time, too. Really, all my posts like this are prompted by my personal struggles. Learning to rest in the Savior's arms is such a difficult yet rewarding journey.

      Awww, dear, you're so welcome! You bring me so much joy! I'm immensely thankful to have friends like you. <333

      Delete
  7. Hi Mary! Just hopping by again to say that I tagged you at my blog. No pressure or anything, but I'd love read your answers if you feel like doing it. :)

    Here's the link:
    http://marchramblings.blogspot.com/2016/10/blogger-recognition-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eep! Thank you so much, Miss March! I'll try to get to it sometime, but I tend to get buried beneath all the tags. So please, it's nothing personal if I don't do it until like 10 months from now. XD

      (But I looooove being tagged, just so you know. :D)

      Delete
    2. No worries! I'm rather swamped with tags myself right now, so I completely understand. (And if you never manage to get around to it, that's fine, too. After all, there's no rule saying you have to complete every single tag you're given. :))

      Delete
  8. PRAISE THE LORD!!!! AMEN!! This was such a beautiful post, Mary!! I am so thankful that you, your family, and your home are all safe and sound. God is sooooo good!!!

    I LOVE the song, Oceans, too! And what a fitting song for this post! <3 Hugs and blessings to you my sweet friend!!! <3 Love, Morgan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Morgan, THANK YOU! God IS good! I'm so thankful for His grace to us and His miracle-working hands.

      Yessss, Oceans is such a beautiful, poignant song! I love it. <3 Thank you so much, dear. You're such a sweet blessing. <3

      Delete
  9. Seriously. WHAT ARE WORDS. Where do I even start...
    Girl, I am so glad you're okay. I know those are just words, and it's a little bit hard to put them meaningfully when it comes through virtually. But you know, if you weren't okay...a LOT of peppiness and sunshine would go out of the blogging world. God loves this sunshine, and He wants it to keep blessing others. I'm real glad you're fine. =) And this also shows that God chose for you to be safe for a specific reason. He's got big plans for you!! =)
    Thanks sooo much for posting this, Mary!
    -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *clutches heart* OH MY WORD, ARIEL. You're seriously making me tear up. :') Thank you soooo much for your sweet words! And no, they are NOT just words! They mean more to me than you know. <3 It's comments like these that remind me that my blog has a purpose.

      Thank YOU, sweet dear! I'm so blessed by God and His grace. (And friends like you. <3)

      Delete
  10. So glad you're all okay!!! We get Cyclones here too and they're terrifying!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird, but I have this odd fascination with cyclones...more like an obsession. XD I would say we should switch places, but we have cyclones here too. =p
      -Ariel

      Delete
    2. Aw, thank you, dear! Yikes, you get them, too? They're definitely frightening. :O

      Delete
    3. @Ariel Haha, that's not too weird actually. I have a fascination with tornadoes...but I'm also terrified of them. XD

      Delete
    4. I knowww...thinking about tornadoes gets me all hyped, but then when there's a moment when it actually might HIT--it's scary. =p So I have pretty mixed feelings about it, but it's mostly excitement. =) Oh, and..*points up to your reply to myself*...GIRL!! How in the whole wide world are you so sweet?! I'm so blessed by YOU!
      -Ariel

      Delete
    5. I totally feel you, Ariel. ;D Ever since I was young, I've had a sliiiiight obsession with meteorology. And the most exciting part about meteorology for me has always been the tornadoes. XD

      D'awww! <333 You sweet person! *huggles*

      Delete
  11. Praise God!! What an amazing testimony to His faithfulness and goodness! So, SO glad you and your family are okay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jesseca! Your precious comment made me smile! I'm so thankful for His blessings to us!

      Delete
  12. We were praying for you guys! God is good. Thank you for sharing this with us. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is so good! I really appreciate all your prayers--they DEFINITELY helped. :D

      Delete
  13. Great post, Mary! Really beautiful.

    I'm so glad you're okay! We had some friends who were almost hit too. I didn't know you were in the same area! God is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you muchly, Hanna!

      Oh dear, you did? I know that Hurricane Matthew did damage a lot of other places so I hope your friends are safe. <3 God was so gracious to my family!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I've heard it was really bad. Thankfully, our friends are fine. I think God was protecting a lot of people!

      Delete
    3. Oh, thank goodness! God certainly has been gracious! I'm so glad to hear that your friends are safe, too. ^_^

      Delete
  14. Once again, I am SO glad you're safe! What a beautiful reminder of God's faithfulness....and a reminder to be still and trust Him! Thank you for sharing!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracey, you've just been the biggest support during this time. I can't thank you enough for your kind, encouraging messages. Love you to the moon and back! <333

      Delete
    2. I have no words right now--just hugs! *all the virtual hugs* It's such a blessing to know you were encouraged. Love you to Pluto and back! ;D <333

      Delete
    3. *hugs you ferociously* You're such a darling! I wuv you, toooo. <333

      Delete
  15. So glad you and your family were able to stat safe!!! Hurricanes are scary, man!

    In other news... I tagged you for the Dual Character Inquisition Tag??? If you wanna check that out you can here:https://storyanddarkchocolate.wordpress.com/2016/10/19/i-done-got-tagged/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! I'm so thankful God spared us. ^_^

      Ack, thanks muchly! I'm...kind of drowning in tags. But I shall do my best to get to it at some point! XD

      Delete
    2. Totally okay! Don't worry about it! I'm not entirely sure of my "tagging etiquette" so I kind of assumed I should let you know? I know it seems kind of like, "Oh, hey, go do a bunch of work on writing a post when you didn't even sign up for it"? I'm kind of new at this! :)

      Delete
    3. Haha, well, there aren't really any rules for it. ;) It's very nice of you to let me know. ^_^ I...usually forget to tell people I tagged them. *coughs* #terribleblogger

      But really, it was so sweet of you to think of me! The tag looks like a lot of fun!

      Delete
  16. God has been telling me to "Be still" as well. Thanks for posting this! It is such a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! It's something God has really been laying on my heart over the past year. :)

      Delete
  17. Oh, wow. I had no idea . . . praise God you're okay! That must have been terrifying.

    But, girl, this is gorgeous <3 Thank you for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia, you sweet thing...THANK YOU! It was really scary, but I'm so thankful for God's protection.

      Aw, thank you! <3

      Delete

Hey, look at you. You found the comments section. *applauds* So proud.

Now, if you're nice and keep your comment clean, I miiiiight just give you a cookie. *grins*