Sunday, October 30, 2016

10 Thoughts Everyone Has Before NaNo (Warning: This May Terrify You)



Okay...so NaNo is two days away and I AM OBVIOUSLY NOT PANICKING. NOT AT ALL. *runs into the street screaming*

Ahem. Yes, perfectly calm. *cough*

I thought it would be fun to do another post about NaNo since that's basically all I can think about right now. And since I'm so experienced (I've actually never done NaNo before but psssh, details), I thought I would enlighten you all with some thoughts I've been having about said insanity.

1.) "I NEED COOKIES."



Every writer who goes into NaNo must be properly stocked up with cookies. How else are we expected to survive writing 1,667 words every day??? (You could also get cake, pie, donuts, or chocolate. Or fruit, if you feel like eating healthy. But eh, you know, sugar = the lifeblood of a writer.)


2.) "Why won't my story behaveeeee? *cries*"




So...for all you plotters out there, I know this has happened to you. NO PLOT. NO IDEAS. IT'S BASICALLY JUST A MESS. I mean, nobody feels ready for NaNo, right? (Unless you're a magical dragon with super plotting abilities.) I THINK WE ALL HAVE BEEN HERE.

...mostly me, because I'm a pantser and therefore know nothing about my book. *dies*

3.) "Okay. I'm REALLY excited! Maybe I'll actually survive!"


Hahahahaha...




Oh, you delusional child. No one survives NaNo. At least...no one survives with their sanity.

(By the way, if you ever have this thought of survival, please rest assured that it is short-lived. It usually goes away within a week of November starting.)

I'M SORRY, IT'S THE TRUTH.

4.) "Yesssss, I get to hide away in my hobbit hole and not be social!"



Yeah, this one's definitely a legitimate plus to NaNo. You get to hide away from society for 30 whole days. THIS IS ACTUALLY A REALLY MOTIVATING THOUGHT.

Of course, there's always that one sibling who doesn't get the memo and just hangs around you chatting whenever you write. So you'll most likely have to threaten them with your pet dragon and hope they get the idea.



5.) "I get to torture characters. Mwahahahaha!"




Ah yes. Torturing characters. The one true reason we write. You don't have to necessarily kill them, per se, but it's always fun to throw a few...ahem...obstacles in their path.

If you aren't one of those writers who gains delight from the idea of tormenting characters, then, well...


(Just kidding, you guys are probably just more humane than we are. XD)

6.) "I think I'm already insane."




First of all, yes you are. And second, it will only get worse. Sorry 'bout that.

But don't worry, all writers are insane. Madness and brilliance are two traits that often coincide, you know. JUST EMBRACE THE MADNESS AND DO YOUR THING. Trust me, it will be great.

7.) "I AM SO NOT READY. *collapses*"




*cannot stop watching gif*

Okay, moving on.

News flash: you will never be ready. Double news flash: NO ONE EVER IS. IT JUST COMES WITH NANO. GO WITH IT.

8.) "WAIT. Why did I sign up for this?"



Um, because you are a smart human bean, obviously. (Or just crazy, but hey, they're one and the same.) Writing 50k in a month is soooo muuuuch fuuuuun.

...I hope. *coughity cough*


9.) "I need to stock up on allllllll the things."




Like cake. And fuzzy blankets. And sleep because you won't get any. AND FOOD AND WATER BECAUSE THE APOCALYPSE IS COMING.

Ahem. Yeah, better safe than sorry. *raids grocery store for emergency supplies*

10.) "IT'S PARTY TIME!"



YES, IT IS. As terrifying as the thought of NaNo is, I think we can all agree that it's also super exciting. I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE INSANITY!

<><><><><>

Well then. How many of you are actually doing NaNo? Have you had any of these thoughts? (Hopefully I'm not the only one. XD) Also, am I officially crowned the Queen of Gifs? Because I think this post is the epitome of epic gif usage. ;)

14 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY AGREE WITH #1 BTW
    and I'm pretty sure we're all insane, xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I'm doing NaNo for the first time too, and that whole post pretty much sums up my thought process about it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the not-being-social aspect is a huge perk. xD

    And yes, those gifs are fantastic. Except for the Frodo one--that was going too far. *sniff* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MARY YOU ARE OFFICIALLY CROWNED THE QUEEN OF GIFS *hands you crown*.

    Those POINTS *dies laughing*. Your gifs were SPOT-ON, especially the Jack Sparrow ones. I was dying XD.

    I AM #3. I don't intend to loose my sanity. WE SHALL SEE.

    BASICALLY this post was the best ever. Thank you so much for sharing - totally made me laugh XD.

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Basically yes to all. *nods*

    I have been diagnosed with Viral NaNoWriMo-ers Disease, and I can attest to the fact that the symptoms may include these very thoughts you have expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word this is so true!!! Great job with this post though! It was hilarious! I'm not doing NaNo this year. *hides* I chickened out. JK! I actually just didn't have anything to write. I could have just grabbed a random idea out of my brain and started writing words down (which is honestly what I do half the time) but I'm busy with my WIP and OYAN. XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Funny how you mentioned your use of gifs because I was totally going to say something about it, namely: LOVED ALL THE JACK SPARROW ONES!!! (Also, I'm kind of compiling my favorite gifs (???) so I have a few of those! :))

    Um, but one time I went CRAZY with gifs, so I don't think you get the crown quite yet, dear...

    Also, oh! This is your first time, too??? WHUT. We are in this together, girlfriend!!! We can dooo iiittt!!! (Maybe. Hahahaha - probably NOT!!!)

    Also, I've been working on my NaNo project FOREVER, so I actually (unlike all YOU adorable confused beans) know what's going on!

    (But I'm still scared??? HOW IS IT TOMORROW??? *distantly moans and wails*)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am laughing so much at the GIFS well done dear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. GRACIOUS GOODNESS MY OH. MARYYYYYY!!!! THIS POST. THIS IS THE GREATEST MOST ACCURATE THING EVER. I AM DYING.

    First of all, YES, you are officially the Queen of Gifs because I don't think perfection itself can beat the perfectness of your gif-usage here. I almost choked when I saw the gif for #4.

    AND THE POINTS. They are SO. TRUE. Cookies or sweets in general are totally essential. Duh. "Sugar = the lifeblood of a writer" <--- SO ACCURATE THOUGH. XDDD

    There is no sanity, there is no surviving, and torturing characters is a NaNo staple. IT IS ALL TRUE.

    BUT IT IS NEARLY PARTY TIME AND I AM TOTALLY ECSTATIC EVEN THOUGH I'LL PROBABLY DIE. But who cares because NANOWRIMO!!!! *throws confetti and dances*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha! This was awesome! You're so funny, Mary! :D And yes, your choice of gifs!!!! Mickey Mouse, Alice in Wonderland, I Love Lucy, Frodo (okay, seriously, you are SO right, that one is SUPER hard to stop watching...heehee).

    I enjoyed this post very, very much!! Thanks for the smile today. And yes, I have certainly had some of these thoughts myself, such as no. 8 for instance: "WAIT. Why did I sign up for this?" Hahaha. (Yes, I have signed up for NaNoWriMo. And this is my very first time trying it so...EEEEEEK! I have no idea how this is going to go.)

    Good luck with your writing, Mary. And good luck with conveying to your over talkative sibling how much you desperately need to concentrate. (Haha. That part about your siblings made me laugh. :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well thank you Mary this is basically me and I am now terrified.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very accurate. *nods*

    also HYPERVENTILATIONS BECAUSE AkASDFksewJ nANo iS TOmmOrROW.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha. I'm doing NaNo. Speaking of that. I need to write sometime today. XD

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've thought sooo many of these FOR SURE.😂 And omg what is it with that one sibling who keeps coming to talk to you?!? I HAVE. I just raise my eyes really slowly from the laptop and glare and they scuttle. The dragons will come out if they're not careful.😂 and eep, definitely need to stock up!! I made chocolate brownie to motivate myself towards my worcount. #winning

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Mary! I tagged you over on blog if you're interested. I understand you are busy with NaNo, so no pressure!! I hope you have a wonderful weekend, my friend!!! :D

    http://thelordsdaughtermorgan.blogspot.com/2016/11/fall-tastic-favorites-tag.html

    ReplyDelete

Hey, look at you. You found the comments section. *applauds* So proud.

Now, if you're nice and keep your comment clean, I miiiiight just give you a cookie. *grins*