Thursday, September 22, 2016

Happy Hobbit Day! (The Tolkien Tag 2016)


Would you look at that? I'm actually posting two days in a row. Because...

Today is Bilbo and Frodo's birthday!!!


YES. THIS CLEARLY CALLS FOR CELEBRATORY FIREWORKS.

In fact, the entire week is special because it's Tolkien Week! The lovely Hamlette has been hosting a blog party to celebrate. Of course, I had to join. How could I not?

So in honor of the most famousest of hobbits, I'm doing the Tolkien Tag! Stay tuned till the end for some extra LotR goodies. ;) (And spoilers will be rampant bunnies, just so you know.)


1.  How many books by J.R.R. Tolkien have you read? 


Um...so I've only read one. *hides in disgrace* Ack, I feel like such a terrible person. D: The only book I've read so far is The Hobbit. But don't worry, I started on The Fellowship of the Ring and hope to finish it by the end of the month. *cough* maybe *cough, cough*

*crawls out of hiding place and moves on to the next question*


2.  Have you seen any movies based on them? 


Yes indeedy! I've seen all three of The Lord of the Rings movies and all three of The Hobbit films by Peter Jackson. I've seen all of LotR six times (minus The Return of the King; I didn't get the chance to rewatch that this summer) and The Hobbit movies...um...maybe four times? I'm not even sure. I watch LotR twice a year, but The Hobbit movies I kind of just...pick up. XD


3.  Are there any scenes/moments that make you cry?


Nah, not really. I make sure to use my feels-proof helmet every time I watch them so I never cry.

...

Hehe. NOT.

Basically, I sob during all of the movies. Multiple times. :P DO NOT ASK ME TO NAME SPECIFIC SCENES ELSE I WILL COMMENCE CRYING. 


Totally not crying over here.


Since you're asking for specifics, though, I guess I'll be nice and share some.


~ ALL THE DEATHS (especially Boromir's and Thorin's D':)


~ Alllll of these scenes.


~ This one, oddly enough. (And no, it's not because Smaug dies. ;D)


~ BASICALLY ALL OF BOTFA

There, that should give you a small taste of how emotional these movies make me. XD

4.  Are there any scenes/moments that make you laugh? 


Oh man, there are lots of those, too. I'm an emotional pendulum during these movies, I tell you.

A few I can think of off the top of my head are the po-ta-toes scene (I quote this whenever we eat potatoes--every. single. time.), the scene where Legolas takes down the Oliphaunt (HE'S THE BEST, I TELL YOU), the "don't tell the elf" scene, and the scene where Bilbo forgets his handkerchief.

Also any scene with Legolas and Gimli. They're the best. XD


5.  Have you ever chosen a Middle Earth name for yourself?  

Nope, but now I want to. *is curious* 


6.  Who would you want to party with/marry/fight to the death? (pick three characters) 


Lemme see here...I would probably party with Merry and Pippin, marry Legolas (obviously), and fight Saruman to the death. I honestly wouldn't stand a chance against any of the villains but...y'know, it would be pretty epic to battle a wizard. ^_^


Yes, this was necessary. XD


7.  When was the last time you visited Middle Earth, via books or movies? 



Either when I was reading The Fellowship of the Ring back in July (which I'm starting again this month) or when I saw The Two Towers, also in July.


8.  Do you consider Gollum to be a villain?  Why or why not? 



Very tricksy question, precious. He's a hard character to classify. Smeagol isn't evil at heart--there's still some good in him--but he ultimately does become consumed by his desire for the Ring. So like Hamlette said, I guess I consider him as more of an antagonist with a tragic fate. You feel sorry for Smeagol, but in the end, he chooses darkness instead of light. By creating the character of Gollum, Tolkien really shows his penetrating knowledge of human nature.

So yeah. I don't consider him a villain, per se. More of a tragic character.


9.  How would you sum up what Tolkien's stories mean to you in one word? 


Probably home. It feels like my heart belongs in Middle Earth. <3





10. List up to ten of your favorite lines/quotes from the books or movies.



YES. Pull up a chair, people. XD 

I'll be copying Meredith and only doing quotes from the movies because I haven't read the LotR books yet.

(In no particular order. I tried to pick mostly different ones than what Meredith put just for the sake of variety.)


 "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." 

<><><>

 "Some believe it is only great power that can keep evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

<><><>

 "I would rather share one lifetime with you than spend all the ages of this world alone."

<><><>

 "Anyway, you need people of intelligence of this sort of mission...quest...thing."

<><><>

"There's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for."

<><><>

 "You look terrible."

<><><>

 "Go back to your books, your fireplace. Plant your trees, watch them grow. If more of us valued home above gold, it would be a merrier world."

<><><>

 "A wizard is never late, Frodo. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." 

<><><>

 "Not all those who wander are lost."

<><><>

 "You left out one of the chief characters--Samwise the Brave. I want to hear more about Sam. Frodo wouldn't have gotten far without Sam."

"Now, Mr. Frodo, you shouldn't make fun. I was being serious."

"So was I."

<><><>

You don't even know how hard it was to limit myself to just ten quotes. I wanted to list sooo many others, but I feared you guys might come at me with pitchforks if I did more than that. XD

This was so much fun, Hamlette! Thanks so much for hosting this grand celebration! ^_^ If you guys are big LotR fans, then you'll want to check out her blog party. There are giveaways and trivia games and tags and just general awesomeness. GO. NOW. Before I have to make the Eagles fly you over there. ;)

<><><><><><>

Now...onto the goodies I promised.

While I was *ahem* wasting time doing research for this post, I stumbled across a few fun LotR things which I wanted to share.

First off, there's this hilarious video about the Ringwraiths.



Then, because I love behind the scenes things, here's this.


Lastly, I found this "Let It Go" parody involving Lord of the Rings. I personally still love Frozen so when I saw this video that combined it with LotR, I about died of happiness. 




Happy birthday, Frodo and Bilbo!

Okay, my fellow hobbits and elves. What are some of YOUR favorite quotes? Who would you marry? (Sorry, I've already claimed Legolas. ;D) And which is your favorite movie from LotR? I know, I'm so evil.






23 comments:

  1. AH. All your posts are so delicious. And your choice of gifs and pictures is exquisite. :)

    "Nah, not really. I make sure to use my feels-proof helmet every time I watch them so I never cry." That made me laugh out loud. But seriously, I need that feels-proof helmet. ;P

    That collllaaaagggee. It's okay. It's not like I needed my heart or anything. ;)

    It WOULD be epic to battle a wizard. That's why I chose Saruman. But I highly doubt I would live to tell the tale. ) 0.0

    I love how Lord of the Rings is so quotable that you were able to come up with ten quotes that weren't mine. Especially the "mission...quest...thing" quote. I hearts that so much. <3

    For your questions: Well, you've already read my answers for the first and second ones, but my favorite movie is Return of the King. Allll the feels.

    Good post, Mary!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ACK. Thank youuuu! *bows*

      Hehe, glad I could amuse you. ;) I think it's safe to assume we all need that helmet...

      I KNOW, RIGHT?! </3

      *high-fives* Maybe if we do it together we have a (slightly) better chance of survival. XD

      Lord of the Rings is just epic. ALLLL THE QUOTES.

      Eeep, The Return of the King! *clutches heart* That's the movie where all the tears cascade.

      Thanks so much, Meredith! :D

      Delete
  2. Great answers! The "journey's end" series of pics/quote... powerful stuff right there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much! Yup, that collage makes me really emotional. D':

      Thank you for the comment!

      Delete
  3. EEP MARY THIS IS SUCH A GREAT POST!! ME LOVESSS IT PRECIOUSSS!
    And yes, the journey's end collage...SO MUCH FEELSS.
    We just watched the parody of 'Let it Go'...and giggled our way through it. XD I LOVE THE 'GOLLUM' AT THE END!!
    And those quotes!! I love it!
    Great post, Mary!
    -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY WORD, ARIEL, THANK YOU!

      *searches desperately for feels-proof helmet* Aw man, foiled again. XD

      Isn't it hilarious?! I love the Gollum they chose, too. ;D

      EEP, THE QUOTES ARE MEH FAVE!

      Thank you, Ariel! ^_^

      Delete
  4. Wonderful post, Mary!!!! Lord of the Rings always for the WIN!!! Your answer to question 9..."Probably home. It feels like my heart belongs in Middle Earth. <3" *wipes tear* Wonderfully said, dear, wonderfully said, *blows nose*. Ok...I'm ok.

    And the quotes are all wonderful as well. <3 Lovely post, Mary. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, LORD OF THE RINGS FOREVER!

      *sniffles* We're stronger than the feels, Morgan. We can do this. *nods*

      Awww, thank you so much, Morgan! You're so sweet. <3

      Delete
  5. Love this, Mary (totally not biased because MIDDLE EARTH and all ... *cough*)!

    THAT COLLAGE. *sniffs* like Meredith said, we don't need our hearts ... highly unnecessary things, those ... *cries*.

    Legolas and the Oliphaunt! I love that scene - and I wonder why I had already assumed you'd pick to marry Legolas? XD

    This post was epic! It's fun that you and I both did the same tag on the same day *highfive*.

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Savannah! (Ha, obviously not biased at all... ;D)

      *waves hand dismissively* Nah, we're perfectly fine without them. *cries anyway*

      YESH, THAT SCENE IS EVERYTHING. Hehe, it's not obvious at all, is it? ;)

      I know, right? Braintwins! *highfives*

      Delete
  6. IT'S A LOTR POST BY MY MARY. *TACKLES*

    Oh my goodness gracious golly. THIS POST WAS TOO FUN.

    At first I was so confused with your answer to #3. I was like, "WUT? What happened to my crying buddy???" But then I realized. XD YES. ALL THE SOBBING. Sometimes I start crying during any of the opening credits because I love it THAT MUCH. Just...it's ridiculous.

    I quote the POT-TA-TOES on a daily basis basically.

    Dat Legolas gif tho. o.o

    I loved your answer to #8 about Gollum! Very thought provoking.

    TOLKIEN'S STORIES ARE HOME. YESSSSH. 1000000% agree!!!

    ALL THE QUOTES. <3333 (I'm just a little excited and I will not apologize.)

    Okay, okay. THOSE VIDEOS. The Ringwraith one was my faaavorite. I cracked. up. But of course behind the scenes is always fun. Viggo is such a mess, oh my goodness. XD And then that parody! :O WHOA. Genius! And too hilarious. I LOVED ALL OF THESE SO MUCH. Thank you for sharing!!!

    Favorite quote...? *holds up all the books and movies* ALL THE WORDS. Heh.
    I would probably marry Aragorn. *cough, cough* (Let's just pretend I'm Arwen for a minute...?) Or I COULD just marry some random elf guy. I'm sure any would do. XD
    Annnd The Two Towers is my favorite of the movies. The Battle of Helms Deep!!!

    I just...I just loved this post! *huggles it forever and a day* HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OUR DEAR BILBO AND FRODO. (Even though I'm a day late. D:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHH, IT'S A LOVELY CHRISTINE COMMENT!!! *tackle-hugs*

      What am I even do with you, girl? You're always so sweet. <3

      BWAHAHAHA! *cackles evilly* I tricked someone! I was actually kinda hoping that would happen. ;D
      DON'T WORRY, I'M STILL YOU'RE CRYING BUDDY. I totally cry in the opening credits sometimes, too. *coughs awkwardly*

      Saaaame. XD

      I KNOW, RIGHT? Just...Legolas. *beams*

      Aw, thanks! I soooometimes express myself coherently. But don't get used to it. XD

      AMEN. THEY ARE TOTALLY MY HOME.

      YESH. <33333 (No apology needed. ;D)

      Asddlskasj aren't they just the best?! That one's probably my favorite, too! I just...can't even. XDDD But yeah, they're all Middle-earth related SO THEREFORE THEY'RE ALL AWESOME. #MasterfulReasoning

      Haha, EXACTLY. One does not simply pick a favorite LotR quote!

      *le gasp* I thought for sure you would pick Faramir! But Aragorn's a fine choice. (Even if, y'know, Arwen kind of already claimed him. :P) Random elf guys work, too. XD

      THE TWO TOWERS IS MY FAVORITE, TOOOO. Twinsies!

      *huggles your comment* Oh my word, Lauri. THANK YOUUUU!

      Delete
  7. Ahh, this is so much fun! I must join!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT IS! I'm not sure how much longer the party lasts, but it would be a BLAST if you joined!

      Thanks for commenting! ^_^

      Delete
    2. The tag part of the party lasts as long as people want it to, so if you still want to do that tag and link up with it, Kayla Marie, you are certainly welcome to!

      Delete
    3. @Hamlette Oh, good! Thanks for clarifying, Hamlette! ^_^

      Delete
  8. I love this post, Mary! All the Middle Earth-ness! I love it. *happy sigh*

    "Probably home. It feels like my heart belongs in Middle Earth. <3" Oh, Mary, my heart! Don't make me cry. My Hobbit Day post is for people who feel that way, if you'd like to read it:
    http://takingmytime.rothfuss.us/2016/09/22/hobbit-day/

    Most of my favorite quotes didn't make the cut for the movies, one of which is from Eowyn: "It needs but one foe to breed a war, not two. . . Those who have not swords can still die upon them. Would you have the people of Gondor gather you herbs only while the Dark Lord gathers armies? It is not always good to be healed in body, nor is it always evil to fall in battle, even in bitter pain. Were I permitted in this dark hour, I would choose the latter." Mostly just because I have it memorized, and it impresses people when I rattle it off. ;)

    Who would I marry? Well, my top three favorite characters all get married in Lord of the Rings, so it feels awkward to say any of them.

    I'm reserving judgement on the movies until I've seen an unedited version of them, but my favorite BOOK is The Two Towers. That may change in the movies though, because I've heard they cut Shelob off the end and put her into Return of the King, and moved Boromir's death scene into the Fellowship--I love that part, even though it makes me very sad. :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Hanna! Middle-earth is the best. :D

      Oh, yay! I'll have to check out your post later this week. (Hopefully I will. Every time I promise something like that I never get around to doing it so...yesh. XD)

      Ahhhh, LOVE THAT. So cool that you have it memorized! I have yet to read all the books, but I DO remember an abbreviated/modified version of that quote in The Two Towers movie. (Still, the book version is much more beautiful.)

      I'm safe because I chose Legolas. ;) Hehe.

      Ah, so you haven't seen the extended versions? THOSE ARE MASTERFUL. I haven't seen the theatrical editions, but I would probably get upset every time they cut out a scene if I ever watched them. XD

      Delete
  9. Ohhhh I love Lord of the Rings so much. XD It's one of my top favorite fandoms. I've seen all of the LoTR movies at least 20 times and the Hobbit movies four or five times. If Arwen didn't have Aragorn he would be mine. XD

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO. Whoa, you've seen LotR a lot. O.O I just saw them for the first time two and a half years ago so I've only seen them five or six times.

      Hehe, I have the feeling you would have to wait in line for Aragorn. XD

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness, yes! Tolkien's stories are home. They are my other home, and sometimes I feel more like I belong there than I do here. Excellent word choice.

    Loved your answers, and those fanvids!!! The ringwraith one was new to me, and gave me a chuckle.

    Thanks for joining the party!

    (Sorry if this posts twice -- Blogger is being glitchy for me tonight.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are! I often feel more at home in Middle-earth, too. <3

      Yayzers, so glad you liked them! ^_^ Haha, I'm quite partial to the Ringwraiths one myself. ;)

      Thank YOU for hosting it! It was so. much. fun.

      (It looks like you're all good! It only posted once. *thumbs up*)

      Delete
  11. I need to do this this year!!!!
    Umm. As to who I would marry..... well that's classified.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, look at you. You found the comments section. *applauds* So proud.

Now, if you're nice and keep your comment clean, I miiiiight just give you a cookie. *grins*