Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag


I was tagged by the splendiferous Deborah a few weeks ago for a bookish tag. A bookish tag, peeps! Yes, I obviously had to do it. (And I'm rather proud of the fact that I'm doing it so quickly. *realizes it's actually been over three weeks* Oh well, it's still the same month. :P)

Anywhozens, since the year's more than halfway over (*throws a wrench at the person who's obviously pressing buttons on a time machine*), we're going to actually be excited about that terrifying fact and blissfully answer questions about books. LET'S DO THIS, SHALL WE?

 

1.) Best Book You've Read So Far In 2016


Wuuuuut?! I am seriously offended by this question. I mean, you actually expect me to pick a favorite book? That's like picking a favorite child.

Welllll...since I can't pick just one, I'll list a few books I obsessively raved about and shoved in people's faces enjoyed thoroughly.

~ J.M. Barrie ~
 
~ Lewis Carroll ~
 
~ Heather Dixon ~
 
~ Rachel Starr Thomson ~
 
~ Jane Austen ~
 
~ Diana Wynne Jones ~
 
 
There are like a billion more books I loved, but we'd be here all day if I tried to name them. SO THAT'S ALL YOU GUYS GET.
 

2.) Best Sequel You've Read So Far In 2016

 
Probably A Spark Unseen by Sharon Cameron. I maaaay have liked it even more than the first book. Actually no, probably not. I can't really decide. I just know it was really good. :D
 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17320980-a-spark-unseen
 
Oh, and I just got my own copy of this book from my sister a couple days ago. Which means she's now my favorite and only sister. I can now pet the cover as long as I want. *smiles*
 

3.) New Release You Haven't Read Yet But Want To

 
Lemme see here... Paper Crowns, The Beautiful Pretender, and The Voyage to Magical North. That last book, though. You can't tell me it doesn't look hilariously awesome if you've read the summary.
 

4.) Most Anticipated Release For The Second Half Of The Year 

 
The Forgetting (by Sharon Cameron) and The Silent Songbird (by Melanie Dickerson). YES PLEASE. *grabby hands*
 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28691932-the-forgetting
Yes, I'm in love with this author's covers.
#noshame

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29492072-the-silent-songbird?ac=1&from_search=true
That hair is like...the most beautiful
thing ever.

5.) Biggest Disappointment

 
I was really disappointed in Veiled Rose. I'd heard a lot of good things about the series and though I enjoyed the first book (Heartless), I found it kind of boring. So I guess I was expecting more interesting things to happen in the sequel. But I still had the same problem and honestly couldn't connect at all with the characters. WHICH IS SO SAD. Because I realllllly need to like the characters in a book. And I really wanted to like the series. *sighs* Maybe I'll like the third book more? *crosses fingers*
 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9463960-veiled-rose

6.) Biggest Surprise 

 
Hmm...probably The Scarlet Letter. I honestly wasn't expecting to like it that much, but it turned out to be really, really good.
 

7.) Favorite New Author


Why must these questions be so haaaard? I've discovered a lot of authors this year that I adore (though none of them have just started writing, if that's what the term "new" is supposed to imply). I'd have to go with Heather Dixon, Diana Wynne Jones, and Sharon Cameron. THEY'RE ALL AMAZING DRAGONS. READ THEIR BOOKS. *shoves books in your face*

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2294528.Howl_s_Moving_Castle

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22840398-illusionarium

8.) Newest Fiction Crush/Ship

 

So. Many. Ships. I'm making myself pick from books I've read very recently (the last month or so), otherwise you'd never hear the end of it.

~ Katharine Tulman and Lane Moreau from The Dark Unwinding/A Spark Unseen

~ Howl and Sophie from Howl's Moving Castle

~ Lord le Wyse and Annabel from The Merchant's Daughter

I don't really have any crushes, per se, but I am rather fond of Lane Moreau. He confuses my emotions and I would actually probably get along horrifically with him, but oh well. I still love him. *hugs*

I also love Lord Bradford from Entwined, Tomas from Lady Moon, Henry Tilney from Northanger Abbey, and Lockwood from Illusionarium. (Yes, we're pretending I read those books in the last month. I NEEDED to mention these guys, though, because they're wonderful. <333)


9.) Newest Favorite Character

 

THESE QUESTIONS ARE EVIL. *pouts* I'm just going to go with the last character that I completely fell in love with, which would be Taggle from Plain Kate. He's a talking cat, and he's adorable and hilarious. Just...TAGGLE. <333


 10.) Book That Made You Cry 

 

Every book ever. XD Most recently, I sobbed during Plain Kate. I'm still not entirely sure what I think about the book as a whole, but it stabbed me in the feels like 314 times so yeah.

Oh, also Deluge. I WAS WEEPING, I TELL YOU. It was rather depressing in a way. D:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7877239-plain-kate

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17372786-deluge?ac=1&from_search=true

 

11.) Book That Made You Happy 

 

Oh gosh...the first ones that come to mind are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Howl's Moving Castle, and Entwined. Oh, and of course Lady Moon. I'm obviously very decisive. XD
 


12.) Favorite Book To Film Adaptation You Saw This Year

 
I would of course say The Lord of the Rings, but I'm going to go with one I saw for the first time this year. Which would be North and South (2004). It's just gorgeous and poignant and incredible. I haven't read the book yet (*cough*), but the miniseries was amazing.
 
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/458663543281610867/
Hear that? THAT'S THE SOUND OF
MY HEART SHATTERING.
 
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/458663543281610940/
 
 
I also very much enjoyed The Jungle Book (2016). Though again, I can't speak for how accurate of an adaptation it is because I haven't read the book.
 

13.) Favorite Post You Have Done So Far This Year 

 

How does one choose a favorite post when they're all so fabulous? Well, I shall endeavor to pick my top five anyway since I have to. ;)
 
 
 
 
 
 

14.) Most Beautiful Book You've Bought So Far This Year 

 

Prooooobably Entwined. But I also love the cover for Shadowhand.
 
 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8428195-entwined?ac=1&from_search=true
Sorry, I haven't gotten around to photographing
this one yet.

15.) Books You Need To Read By The End Of The Year 

 

 A terrifying amount. Looking at my TBR makes me fear for my life.
 
Here are a bunch of books I must get my hands on posthaste.
 
~ Rook and The Forgetting by Sharon Cameron
~ Paper Crowns by Mirriam Neal
~ Raising Dragons Graphic Novel by Bryan Davis
~ The Beautiful Pretender, A Spy's Devotion, and The Silent Songbird by Melanie Dickerson
~ Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
~ Emissary by Thomas Locke
~ The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
~ The Peculiar by Stefan Bachmann
~ Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George
~ Three Wishes by Lisa T. Bergren
~ On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness by Andrew Peterson
~ North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
~ Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
~ The Ryn by Serena Chase
 
And that's just the beginning. I honestly want to devour waaay more books than this, but I highly doubt I shall get to them all by the end of the year. #bookdragonprobs
 
<><><><><><><>
 
 I hereby tag anyone who's read a Jane Austen book this year. You don't have to do it, of course, but it is a truth commonly acknowledged that people who do bookish tags lead happier lives. (This is totally true. *nods*)
 
(Oh, and in case you were wondering, yes, I was lazy and stopped linking to all the books near the end of the tag. It's such a pain to link to alllllll of the books. XD)
 

Can you believe that July is almost over? WHERE DID THE YEAR GO?! Also, what is your newest favorite book character? (And what is your favorite post I've done? I'm actually rather curious what posts you all enjoy the most.)





13 comments:

  1. Eeeep, eeep, eeep! I was scrolling through this thinking, "I really hope Mary lets me take this" and then BOOM you nominated anyone who read Jane Austen this year, which I did, so yayyyy! I get to take it. :D

    It looks like so much fun. (But it may take me a while to get around to finishing it, so apologies. :) )

    *jumps up and down and hugs self* You're going to read the Wingfeather Saga? I rather suspect you'll love it, Mary. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, yay!!! I didn't tag anybody specifically, but I thought adding something like that would make it a little more fun. ^_^ Looking back at all the posts I missed this summer, I see you DID in fact do it! YAYZERS!

      YES, YES I AM!!! The first book was marvelous! I can't wait to continue reading the series. ^_^

      Delete
  2. I LOVE THIS TAG SO MUCH AND AM SO HAPPY YOU DID IT! BECAUSE BOOKS. And nosy bookdragons who want to know what their fellow bookdragons are reading. XD

    First of all HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE!!! Just...HMC. I may have squeaked quietly to myself every single time you mentioned it. And I loved how many times it got mentioned. XD Because DUH, it's HMC!

    I just read the summary for The Voyage to Magical North and oh my word, it sounds so cute!!! *shifty eyes* *adds it to monstrously scary TBR list that most certainly does not need more things added to it* *whistles innocently*

    The Forgetting has a gorgeous cover. O_O *drools* I so need to read this lady's books!

    NORTH AND SOUTH. EEP. Loooved that mini-series! (I won't tell you my sister and I watched it purely because Richard Armitage was in it. *COUGH* BUT IT WAS SO GOOD. ALL THE FEELS.)

    Shadowhand has suuuch a pretty cover. *pets it* And even prettier with YOUR GORGEOUS PHOTOGRAPHY. <333

    I love seeing The Peculiar on your read-soon list. I'm such a good influence. XD

    Wait, you want me to CHOOSE between all your amazing posts??? *writhes on floor* I don't knooow. I love them alllll! I loooved your book photography ones. BECAUSE PRETTY BOOK PICTURES. <3 And your favorite LotR characters one. And the "You doubt your value; don't run from who you are" one. So deep and beautiful! And...WELL ALL OF THEM. YOUR BLOG IS AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEP, THIS WAS SUCH A FUN TAG!!! I love nosy bookdragons. :D (I'm definitely one of them. XD)

      It toooootally deserves all the mentions! HMC IS THE BEST. I blame Deborah for my obsession with it. XD

      Doesn't it sound absolutely adorable? I apparently need to read that book posthaste. *grins as your TBR topples*

      OH MY GOSH, CHRISTINE, YOU DO. Her books are all amazing!

      Asddlsskdld I WUVS IT. I reallllly want to rewatch it sometime soon because it's amazing. <333 (HEH. Obviously, that had NOTHING to do with it. ;D)

      Oh gosh, you sweet thing. <3 IT IS SUCH A BEAUTIFUL BOOK.

      Heh, you've ruined me, Lauri. You keep adding all these books to my TBR.

      *hugs you forever* How am I to even respond to this??? Just...I love you. <3

      Delete
  3. Yusss, you did the tag! SO FUN! :D *giggles hysterically about the time/wrench thing* Yep, it must be a thing. ;) I'm still freaking out about where the year went. O_O

    ENTWINED AND HOWL! *happy shrieking* *is dying to read Lady Moon*

    Paper Crowns and The Beautiful Pretender are awesome!! :D

    *dies because The Forgetting sounds so amazing* *adds to TBR* YUS I'm so excited about The Silent Songbird toooo!

    Aww, that's sad you didn't like Veiled Rose. :-/ It wasn't my favorite either? But I LOVED the first part when they were kids. :D I hear that Moonblood is better and pretty much the second half of that story so hopefully you'll like it better! ^_^ I need to read it too... *cough*

    DWJ and Heather Dixon are amaziiiiiing! ^_^ *needs to try some Sharon Cameron apparently*

    HOWL AND SOPHIE LORD BRADFORD AND TILNEY AND LOCKWOOD! ^_^ *needs to read The Merchant's Daughter sooon*

    :O Talking cats are AWESOME! (My favorite is in Paper Crowns. ;))

    NORTH AND SOUTH! I watch it for Richard Armitage so yes, it's awesome. XD

    YESSS! You must read Paper Crowns, The Beautiful Pretender, A Spy's Devotion, Lord of the Rings, and Princess of the Midnight Ball because they're all AWESOME! :D I really need to read the Wingfeather Saga and The Ryn and The Peculiar myself! O_O

    Anyways I had sooooo much fun reading this and seeing ALL THE BOOKISH MARY THINGS HUZZAH! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW, RIGHT, I'M SO ON TOP OF THINGS. #not I honestly have noooo idea how it's like...almost October. O.O

      YUS. SO MUCH HAPPINESS. <3 *loudly agrees that you must read Lady Moon*

      Um...heck yes! They were ah-may-zing!

      I can't WAIT to get my hands on those two books! The Forgetting is out now so...*casually checks price on Amazon*

      I knowwww, it's so sad. D: I wish I would have enjoyed that book! Hopefully the rest of the series will be more to my liking. :D

      AMEN AND AMEN. *shoves Sharon Cameron books in your face*

      YESSSS. Halcyon, oh my heart. <333 He's definitely my favorite, too.

      HA. How does that not surprise me? XDDD

      *feels proud because I've read half of those* I'm reading FotR right now so yay!!! And after that comes A Spy's Devotion! So soon I will have alllll of those books read. ^_^

      Gah, thanks muchly for the tag, my delightful bookdragon friend! IT WAS ALL KINDS OF AWESOME.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Mary! And yes, the girl's hair on 'The Silent Songbird' is AMAZING! I love red hair. <3
    Oooh, North and South looks so good! I only saw the first episode, but I want to finish it soon!
    New favorite character? Well, I just figured out Aragorn is my favorite character out of any book I've ever read, but I read LotR like. . . two years ago? So that might not count. Out of books I read recently, Smalls from 'The Green Ember' by S.D. Smith.
    And my favorite post you've done this year is most likely the LotR characters one. Like, I can't tell you how many times I've scrolled back through that one. *sheepish grin* ALL THE PICTURES!! Your 'Don't Run From Who You Are' post was really great too, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I LOVE The Jungle Book! And I haven't read the book either, but I think they went pretty far from it. My sister told me the book was kinda' dark, so I probably won't read it. The movie so good though!

      Delete
    2. AWK, THANK YOU! And oh my goodness, red hair is MAGICAL! It's so pwetty. <3

      You should watch the rest of it! It's soooo delicious!

      *le gasp* I never knew you liked Aragorn! ;D Oh, I haven't heard of that book! *casually checks it on Goodreads*

      *clutches heart* That's honestly one of the sweetest things of ever. THANK YOU! It makes me all kinds of happy to know that you enjoyed that post so much. ^_^

      (JUNGLE BOOOOOK. We just rewatched that a couple weeks ago. :D)

      Delete
  5. Hehe, I misread the first question and thought it said "Books you've read so far in 2016" and I was like "You've only read 6 books so far?!" Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be frightful! O.O Perish the thought. XD

      Delete
  6. This year has seriously gone abnormally fast. I don't remember last year whisking by like this. XD I love Howl's Moving Castle! I haven't read the book but I have seen the Studio Ghibli movie and I absolutely love it. North and South is also a great movie and I also haven't read the book to that haha.

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly! The year can't be almost over!!!

      Oh, I haven't seen the movie! I'm not much for anime, but the book was stupendous. ^_^

      I love North and South. <3 I really need to read the book!

      Delete

Hey, look at you. You found the comments section. *applauds* So proud.

Now, if you're nice and keep your comment clean, I miiiiight just give you a cookie. *grins*