Friday, May 13, 2016

My Top 5 Favorite Lord of the Rings Characters


Hullo again, dragons of the interwebs! I'm here today with a very special post. Any guesses as to what it is? (I know, it's impossible to tell from the title...)

It's a Lord of the Rings post! *cue epic battle cries and the lighting of beacons* But not just ANY Lord of the Rings post--it's a post about my favorite characters. You may already know one of them based off my sidebar (psssh, who are you calling a Legolas fangirl? I don't know what you're talking about *cough, cough*), but I haven't told you all of them. I figure it's about time I remedied that.

Luckily, I have an excuse to fangirl because there's a Lord of the Rings Week going on over at Write On, Cordy! which you can check out HERE. My LotR loving heart may have palpitated rapidly at the sight. It actually ends tomorrow but...hey, better late than never! I got so excited that I changed my header and everything. (Which, to be honest, I kinda hate. I did a horrible job. :P)

ANYWAY. I've rambled long enough. Let's get on to the awesomeness!

1. Legolas


"He was as tall as a young tree, lithe, immensely strong, able swiftly to draw a great war-bow and shoot down a Nazgûl, endowed with the tremendous vitality of Elvish bodies, so hard and resistant to hurt that he went only in light shoes over rock or through snow, the most tireless of all the Fellowship." 

C'mon, you knew it was coming. The obsession is real, people. Basically...he's been my favorite character since the beginning. (And no, it has nothing to do with his hair. Why would you think that? ;) ) First of all, he's an Elf. And...I don't really know if you need any other reasons than that. XD

In case his hair and Elf status aren't enough to convince you, I'll expound a bit on why I love him so.

He's extremely loyal. The scene that immediately came to mind was the one where Aragorn fell of the cliff during the Warg attack. Legolas finds Aragorn's Evenstar pendant, and you can tell just by the expression on his face how much he is affected by Aragorn's "death." Especially at that moment when Théoden tells them to leave the dead behind. I mean, just look at him.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/417427459187120876/

Something else I really appreciate about Legolas is how dynamic of a character he is. When you see him in The Fellowship of the Ring, he wants nothing to do with the dwarves. Zilch. But as the movies progress, he develops a very strong friendship with Gimli. And I love that because it shows how people can change. (He also has a great character arc in The Hobbit films. I know, he wasn't supposed to be there, but I really admire his growth in the movies.)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/164874036329155058/

 Plus, you know, he's just plain awesome. Let's face it.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/347973508686624863/
The cuteness. I'M DYING.
“For Legolas was fair of face beyond the measure of Men, and he sang an elven-song in a clear voice as he walked in the morning.”
 

2. Arwen

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/328270260315412494/
"And there sat a lady fair to look upon. And so like was she in form of womanhood to Elrond that Frodo guessed that she was one of his close kindred. Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her hair were touched by no frost; her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night; yet queenly she looked, and thought and knowledge were in her glance, as of one who has known many things that the years bring."
 
Ah, yes. Another Elf. Shocker, right?
 
Arwen has a very special place in my heart--and rightfully so. The main reason for my fondness is her strength. People always praise Eowyn for being such a strong female character, and yes, she is. I wholeheartedly agree. But I think Arwen often gets overlooked because of her gentler, quieter appearance. She doesn't go charging into battle like Eowyn, but instead fades into the background a little more. She possesses a very special strength. After all, she gave up immortality to be with Aragorn. Her father did everything he could to persuade her otherwise, yet she went against his wishes and chose to give up everything for the one she loved. And if that's not counted as strength, I don't know what is.
 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/451767406344450276/
 
I also love how much of a positive influence she is in Aragorn's life. She encourages him to accept who he is as the future king of Gondor and take up his sword and fight. Not only that, but she also never gives up hope. No matter how dark things may get, she looks toward the light and reminds us that there is still hope.
 
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/507569820478908234/
 
“For I am the daughter of Elrond. I shall not go with him when he departs to the Havens: for mine is the choice of Luthien, and as she so have I chosen, both the sweet and the bitter.”
 

3. Frodo

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/392235448769204816/
 
 
“I should like to save the Shire, if I could - though there have been times when I thought the inhabitants too stupid and dull for words, and have felt that an earthquake or an invasion of dragons might be good for them. But I don't feel like that now. I feel that as long as the Shire lies behind, safe and comfortable, I shall find wandering more bearable: I shall know that somewhere there is a firm foothold, even if my feet cannot stand there again.”  
 
Frodo Baggins has long remained a favorite of mine, and I find it sad that many people don't like him. They think he's weak, whiny, incompetent, etc. And you know what? He's not. In fact, I think he's one of the strongest characters in Lord of the Rings. The very fact that he 1) takes on the task of carrying the Ring and 2) resists its power for such a lengthy amount of time demonstrates great strength of character. And yes, he did falter at the end. He couldn't destroy the Ring. But he did everything he could to try and destroy it. If you want to read an AMAZING defense post about Frodo, you can find it here. (She wrote is sooo much better than I could have. XD)
 
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/28499410115149580/
 
I honestly feel like Frodo is such a relatable character. We all struggle with temptation. We can't possibly do everything on our own, and Frodo is an example of that. Yet he still remains courageous in the face of insurmountable odds.
 
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/458663543279751084/
 
 
I just love him, guys. And it doesn't hurt that he has the most amazing eyes on the planet. ;)
 
“And here he was, a little halfling from the Shire, a simple hobbit of the quiet countryside, expected to find a way where the great ones could not go, or dared not go. It was an evil fate.”  
 

4. Aragorn

 
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/141441244521616138/
 
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
 
The list wouldn't be complete without Aragorn, now would it? I really don't think there's much that needs to be said about this amazing man. He has a very quiet strength about him, a presence that is palpable. He's noble, chivalrous, brave, and undeniably loyal. What I like about him most, though, is the fact that he isn't always sure of himself. Like many of us, he sometimes has doubts. He doesn't want to accept his destiny as the next king of Gondor. But throughout the course of the stories, he comes to accept it and becomes the king he was always supposed to be.
 
 
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/55239532902347585/
 
There's just something about a "good guy" character like Aragorn that makes my heart happy. As much as I adore all the roguish rascals (*ahem* Flynn Rider), I always appreciate a character who just wants to do what's right.
 
 
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/294915475577297300/


 
“But I am the real Strider, fortunately. I am Aragorn son of Arathorn; and if by life or death I can save you, I will.”  
 

5. Merry

 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/384072674444555726/



But it does not seem that I can trust anyone,' said Frodo.
Sam looked at him unhappily. 'It all depends on what you want,' put in Merry. 'You can trust us to stick with you through thick and thin--to the bitter end. And you can trust us to keep any secret of yours--closer than you keep it yourself. But you cannot trust us to let you face trouble alone, and go off without a word. We are your friends, Frodo.”
  
 
Merry always seems to be the most unnoticed hobbit of the lot. Whereas you'll hear people talking about Sam's loyalty, Pippin's adoration for second breakfast, and Frodo's task of carrying the Ring, you won't hear much about good old Meriadoc Brandybuck. And I really have no clue why.
 
 
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/169096160979541444/
 
He's grown on me the more I think about him. Although he gets into quite a bit of trouble with his partner in crime (aka Pippin), he really is the most logical of the hobbits. He's resourceful, clever, and yes, brave. (Let's just do ourselves a favor and assume everyone in LotR is brave. XD)  I just love how much he cares for Pippin. He's like a brother to him. And oftentimes, while everyone else is off on important quests, he gets left behind in the dust, unnoticed. When he goes to battle with Eowyn in the movies, he is mocked by the other soldiers. Yet he still musters up the courage to charge into battle and help his friends. He's just a simple hobbit from the Shire who wants to make a difference.
 
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/521854675549039450/
 
 
 "No,' said Merry. 'I can't. Not yet, at any rate. But at least, Pippin, we can now see them, and honour them. It is best to love first what you are fitted to love, I suppose: you must start somewhere and have some roots, and the soil of the Shire is deep. Still there are things deeper and higher; and not a gaffer could tend his garden in what he calls peace but for them, whether he knows about them or not."
 
There you have it! My very long-winded, jumbled thoughts on my five favorite Lord of the Rings characters. This post actually took a loooong time to write...probably 'cause I got caught up in all kinds of Pinterest things while looking for pictures. XD
 

What about you? Who are some of YOUR favorite LotR characters? (Yes, I'm making you pick.) Do you agree with me on any of my choices?



32 comments:

  1. Okay, so I actually haven't read Lord of the Rings...so I was wondering, what about that series appeals to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I actually haven't read LotR either, but I've seen the movies (aka my favorite movies of all time) and plan on reading the books this summer.

      There are a lot of reasons I love LotR. Amazing characters, incredible worldbuilding, and most importantly, resonating themes. There are wonderful themes such as hope and courage in the midst of difficulties, conquering self-doubt, and sacrificing oneself for another. There are also great illustrations of the importance of family and friendships, as well as the truth that we all have a purpose and a plan in the world.

      Anyway, those are just a few of the reasons I love LotR so much. Of course, the movies also have great actors, music, cinematography, costumes, lines, epic battles...basically everything. ;) I'm a huge fantasy lover as well, and the characters are some of my favorites of all time.

      Oops, that got quite lengthy. As you can see, I'm a bit obsessed with Lord of the Rings. XD Hopefully I'll be reading the books shortly so I can tell you what I actually think of them in comparison to the films! :)

      Delete
  2. A LORD OF THE RINGS POST!!! I loves it! *hugs*

    Legolas is awesome!! Well, he's more than that, but you know what I mean. ;) He's so cool. When we watch it we have to rewind that horse scene several times. He grabs the horse rein/thingy and swings up right in front of Gimli with such ease. I wish I could do that!! :D And he uses a bow?! And never misses a shot (that I have noticed:)).

    Nice points about Arwen and Frodo. Although, I have to admit they are not my personal favorites. :)

    Aragorn!! YES!! He's one of my very favorites. I love him!! <3

    And Merry. I personally liked him better in the book. But he is still a great character! He was the one that got everything into place for Frodo to leave. He got the ponies and when Frodo tells them about the ring he already knew Bilbo had it! He's a smart cookie for sure.

    Lovely post, dearie!! Ooo and your header?! Awesomeness!! <3 =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, LORD OF THE RINGS!!!

      HE IS MY FAVORITEST CHARACTER OF EVER. I kid you not. I love him so much. <333 Oh, I love that part! I always *want* to rewind it, but the rest of my family just wants to get on with the movie. XD And of course, we can't forget his wonderful archery skills. Basically, he's awesome. :D

      That's totally fine! I'm pretty protective of my favorite characters (they're almost like my kids, hehe), but I understand that we all have different preferences. :)

      I love Aragorn, too! Such a noble, courageous character!

      Oh, yes. I remember reading that part when I started FOTR last year. Alas, I haven't finished the books yet, but I am planning on doing so this summer! Hopefully then I can more accurately compare book/movie versions of Merry. *nods*

      Awk, you're so sweet, Morgan! It took me so long to respond to these comments that I now have a different header. XD

      Delete
  3. MARY THIS POST *hugs it*. I loveth it so! I must say, I was very much excited when I saw the title of this post :D.

    Legolas! Arwen! Frodo! Aragorn! Merry! You're got some good favorite characters, Mary (also, I will tell you, when I say your name, sometimes my sisters can't tell if I'm referring to Mary (you) or Merry (Meriadoc), LOL)! And YAY Legolas is your top favorite character!

    ARE YOU TRYING TO DESTROY ME, MARY?! I CAN'T pick only FIVE favorite characters! Here, look, this picture explains everything:

    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sBAF0dkmCSo/Vk5YSpnu2dI/AAAAAAAAAYU/beWLeB8lkz0/s1600/Screenshot%2B2015-11-19%2B17.16.13.png

    *crosses arms* So I won't pick. At all. (but, um ... I do really like Legolas. And Aragorn. And Pippin. And Legolas. And Frodo and Sam and Gimli and Eowyn and Gandalf and - and - AND ALL THE LOVELY CHARACTERS.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And also, your header is EPICNESS. I squealed when I saw it and showed it to my sisters :D. ALL THE LOTR-NESS!

      Delete
    2. AWWW, SAVANNAH, THANK YOUUUU! You're always so sweet and encouraging! <3 *hugs you*

      YES! They're all incredible! (LOL, maybe that's why I like him so much. Because he obviously has the best name out of all of them. ;D)
      LEGOLAS!!! *squeals* He's my favorite character of all time. I'm talking out of every book and movie I've seen or read. I love him that much. <3

      Bwahahaha! My evilness knows no bounds! *cackles* I agree, it's quite the difficult task. I had a hard time narrowing it down to five myself.

      Hehe, I approve of your choices. ^_^ (You did such a great job limiting them. ;D) BASICALLY THEY'RE ALL WONDERFUL.

      Oh, thanks muchly! I have to admit, I rather despised how it turned out and couldn't wait to replace it. XD Glad someone liked it, at least.

      Delete
  4. Hi,

    Can I call you Mary? Or do you prefer your full name?

    I really liked your header. And for having such short notice I was doubly impressed!

    EXCELLANT quotes used throughout, Mary!! I heartily approve!! :D

    Doing a 'favorites' post was one post that I didn't quite get to for my blog week mostly because it was going to be insanely long and a lot of work. I have this thing with choosing favorites for different categories. Do you know what I mean? I like this person for this reason and that person for that reason, you know? For example, I LOVE Denethor, but ONLY because I can so completely detest him! Tolkien wrote such a dramatically awful person that I have no problem disliking him...like, a whole lot!! :P I really like Elrond. The movie version and the book version of him are rather different when it comes to his treatment of Aragorn and Arwen's relationship. He's actually a very wise counselor and a loving father.

    I know that Aragorn is a favorite!! For SURE and I also like Galadriel. Oh, yeah, Aragorn looks like he could be the roguish rascal but is a good guy, that's a winning combo if you ask me. Haha.

    I think Legolas is underrated because in some ways Bloom made him a little goofy at times with his facial expressions. ;) But I'm okay with it. :)

    This was a fantastic LOTR post, Mary!! Kudos for narrowing down your favorites!

    ~Cordy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cordy! Yup, you can just call me Mary. :D

      Aww, thanks so much! I'm happy you guys seemed to like it, but I actually wasn't pleased with the way it turned out. Thus why it went down as quickly as possible. XD

      Thank you! I admit that I searched Goodreads quite a bit to find the right ones because I haven't yet read the books. (Something I will soon be remedying!) I wanted to include some quotes from the books, though, because I thought it would be nice to show the characters from both angles.

      I completely understand that! This post took a crazy amount of time and effort. I actually think it was quite mad of me, looking back. XD And I get what you're saying about different categories. I guess there will always be those characters we "love to hate."

      Aragorn is awesome. Nuff said. Oh, and I quite like Galadriel! (Mostly because she's an Elf. *cough*)

      I feel like people either love him or really don't care for him at all. I love how Orlando handled his character. He's just hilarious. XD

      Thank you so much, Cordy! I'm happy that it turned out decently. (Even if it took me an eternity to reply to the comments. :P)

      Delete
  5. YOUR HEADER! Mary, you have truly outdone yourself. :)

    All of the characters you picked were perfect. Arwen does get overlooked quite a bit, though she truly is quite wonderful. She has that quiet bravery and sweetness in the face of peril that I don't think many can boast of.

    Aw, Merry is wonderful. :) I do love how he and Pippin share many traits, but are also vastly different.

    Wonderful post, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, SWEET GIRL! I find it so funny that everyone likes it but me. XD

      Yes, she really does. I love her for her quiet strength, and I think a lot of people don't see that in her. One of my favorites, for sure. <3

      Isn't he, though? You're right, he does share many similarities with Pippin but also has a completely different personality.

      Awww, thank you!

      Delete
  6. I like Legolas okay in the book but not in the movie (can't stand Orlando Bloom's acting!), never been a big fan of Arwen either (like, why couldn't she go to war with Aragorn if she loves him so much?), or Merry. Of the two, I like Pippin much better. He's funnier and cuter:)

    I love Frodo and Aragorn though. Can't believe they weren't on the top of your list! Especially Aragorn...

    I'm not judging you, though! Everybody is different:)

    Personally, I like Eowyn, Eomer, Pippin, Frodo, Gollum/Smeagol, Aragorn, Faramir, and Galadriel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm...just going to pretend I didn't read that. XD Legolas is my favorite character of all time, and Orlando Bloom is my favorite actor of all time. So...yeah. *cough* Oh dear, you don't like Arwen or Merry either? I guess I do like the overlooked ones more. :/ But really, I like that Arwen DOESN'T go to war because it shows that sometimes a different kind of resolve, courage, and strength can overcome evil. She doesn't ride into battle swinging a sword but instead shows an even greater strength of mind, emotion, and will. I dunno. I just get really protective over my babies. ;D (And of course I love Merry. He's rather adorable, in my opinion!)

      Well, I guess we all have different opinions. I still love them, but I just like others a smidge more. :)

      You picked some really good ones! (Not sure how I feel about Gollum, and never been a *huge* fan of Eowyn and Farmir, but I still like those two. :D) I guess there are just a lot of great characters in LotR. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm glad Merry had a place on this list. He's always been one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, he's such a wonderful little hobbit! Such a shame that he often gets overlooked.

      Delete
  8. So funny you should post this, Mary, because I just finished watching "The Two Towers" this afternoon! (Yes, for the first time!!) And I heartily agree with all five of your favorites. Merry in particular stood out to me in TTT...I feel like he got more screen time than in the first movie. Ah, I just adore all the hobbits. ^_^

    In addition to your list, I love Eowyn, Gandalf, Sam, and Faramir. And if I can count animals among favorite characters, then let's throw Shadowfax and Brego in there. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *cheers* Good for you, Tracey! You watched TTT!! *cheers more*

      Delete
    2. AHHHH, YOU WATCHED THE TWO TOWERS??? *squeals* That is my favorite of the trilogy!!! *dances and throws cookies in the air* *eats aforementioned cookies* I really like that Merry got more attention in the second movie. You can see a lot more of his personality come out and get to know him better. I love all the hobbits so much. ^_^

      Oh, I love many of those, too! And you can't forget Shadowfax and Brego! I've always had a particular fondness for the latter. <3

      Delete
  9. Ahh, yus, excellent choices. :D

    *gasps* Eowyn isn't on the list? ;) I love her. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! :D

      Hehe...I knew someone would comment on that. ;) She isn't actually one of my favorites, but I do like her. I guess I just enjoy a lot of more "unpopular" ones. (Like Merry and Arwen. They often tend to be overlooked.)

      Delete
  10. *SCREAMS AND FLAILS AND SQUEALS AND RUNS IN CIRCLES AND TACKLES POST AND HUGS IT FOREVER*

    Erm. Not that I'm excited about this or anything...

    .......

    .......

    .......

    YES I AM. LOTR CHARACTER POOOOOOST!!!!!!!

    Your list is made of fabulous choices! Of course...I'd say that no matter who you put here. XD Gimme ALL the LotR peoples. But at least you put my top, TOP favorite which is...ARAGORN. I love what you said about him. It's so true that it's great to just have a genuine good guy. I'm alll for the anti-heroes and "Flynn Riders" as it were, but I still will always, always love the ones who just have goodness in their heart and want to do the best.

    I just love all these babies so much! Frodo was my favorite when I was younger, then I realized the amazingness of Aragorn. XD But I still adore Frodo. Even though his movie version has...problems sometimes. But the REAL Frodo, the one from the book, is perfection. I still love the movie version though, don't get me wrong. I just don't think they fully captured the essence of Frodo quite right. (But dem eyes. o.o)

    I LOOOOVED how you put quotes about them, and such great quotes. I JUST LOVED THIS POST OKAY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad you aren't actually excited about this. XDDD

      BUT REALLY.
      YOUR COMMENT IS MAKING ME GRIN EVEN THOUGH I ALREADY READ IT LIKE THREE TIMES.

      Oh man, they're ALL so GOOOOD. I JUST LOVE LOTR PEOPLES. *hugs* Aragorn is just fantastic! It's so refreshing to see a character who is just...good. He's noble, courageous, honorable...I could go on and one about him. HE'S JUST AWESOME, OKAY?

      Aren't they the bestttt? I haven't read the books yet (SHAMEFUL) so I wouldn't really know. Having seen the movies, though, I still adore Frodo. I guess... I just really understand him as a character, which I think is really important in any story. So I know that when I read the books I'll love him even more. <3 (And yes, his eyesss.)

      IT WAS A CHALLENGE WHICH I OBVIOUSLY CONQUERED. XD I had to search through Goodreads (even though I didn't have an account at the time) and my copies of the books to find the perfect ones. ^_^

      THANKS SO MUCH, LAURI! <3

      Delete
  11. Hello! I love your blog. :)
    Awww, doesn't Legolas just make you wanna melt?
    My favorites are probably Frodo, Legolas, Aragorn and Pippin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, aren't you sweet? Thank you!

      HE DOES. He is the most adorable, precious squishy. *hugs*

      I LOVE THEM ALL. Excellent choices, m'dear! :D

      Delete
  12. SQEEEEEAAAALLLLL. LORD OF THE RINGS IS LIFE. I've been on a bit of LOTR kick for the last few weeks (psh. Who am I kidding. I'm always on a LOTR kick) so this post was appropriately timely.

    Legolas makes me so happy. Every time he comes on screen, I die of happiness a little. And Aragorn is also one of my absolute favorites...there is just so awesomeness in LOTR that I can't even. I also love Arwen and Merry, and Frodo too! I know a lot of people don't like Frodo, but I've always had a soft spot for him.

    But how did you only pick five? Impossible. I love Sam so much, and Pippin, and Elrond, and Eowyn, and Faramir, and then there's Legolas again...

    I love your header to bits and pieces, just FYI. Also, I've finally got to watch The Hobbit. Go watch it. I promise you will love it, for all the Legolas-ness if for nothing else. Except that there's also Bilbo-ness and Thorin-ness and dragon-ness, and just so much awesomeness. You'll love it.

    Emma | www.creativexplorations.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *squeals with you* LORD OF THE RINGS IS THE BEST THING EVERRRRR. (Haha, I'm pretty sure I've been on a LotR kick for the last two-and-a-half years. XD)

      Eeeep, don't even get me started on Legolas. HE MAKES ME DIE OF HAPPINESS, TOOOO. Oh, and Aragorn! AND ALL OF THEM. I'm so glad that you liked all the ones I picked. :)

      It was...a challenge, to say the least. There are so many good characters that I felt almost like a traitor when I didn't include some of them. XD

      Awww, thanks so much, Emma! I've actually seen The Hobbit films already, and they are ah-may-zing. LotR will forever be my favorite, but I still adore The Hobbit. (Mostly because of all the reasons you mentioned. Especially the Legolas-ness. ;D)

      Thanks so much for your lovely comment, friend!

      Delete
  13. I love your choices! Aragorn is my top favorite but also I love the the other ones you picked and of course Sam and Gimili and Eowyn and it's just so hard to choose. XD I think my top five would be Aragorn, Legolas, Eowyn, Sam, and I also really love Faramir.

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Victoria! I'm glad we share similar favorites! It really is so hard to narrow it down. >.> (But Legolas will always be my very favorite!)

      Delete
  14. Awww. This was great. Very nice post, Mary. :)

    1. I don't get super excited about Legolas usually, but I actually really liked what you had to say about him. It's true, his loyalties are very strong, and I love his friendship with Gilmi...and Aragorn, too for that matter. :)

    2. (Okay, this post is really making me appreciate the elves more than I usually do.) I tend to like the hobbits best, and consider the elves a bit dull...haha...but your description of Arwen is perfect. She really is an amazing character. The fact that she gave up immortality so that she could remain with Aragorn; and that she never gives up hope. That is just truly admirable.

    3. FRODO! Aww. I'm so happy to find someone else who feels the same way about him. (And I may or may not have gotten quite a thrill when I saw you had linked to my post. Like, WHAT? Someone's linking to one of MY posts?? :) Haha.) So, yes. Naturally, I agree with what you said about Frodo..*wink*...and I particularly liked this sentence here: "We all struggle with temptation. We can't possibly do everything on our own, and Frodo is an example of that" because it is so VERY true! :D Very well said.

    4. "I always appreciate a character who just wants to do what's right." Oh, me too! It's so refreshing to have a character who's firmly set on doing the right thing, no matter the cost to himself; and who consistently DOES do the right thing throughout the story.

    4. AND YOU INCLUDED MERRY!! Oh, that makes me so happy. I LOVE Merry! :D And you're so right, he doesn't get mentioned as much as the others do, which is a shame, because he really is an amazing character. I love how logical and loyal he is. (That quote you included at the beginning, by the way, was perfect.) "We are your friends, Frodo." Awww. And to Merry that means, "We're going to stick by you through thick and thin." Love that. :D

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are so sweet, Miss March! THANK YOU! :D

      I'm glad that you liked what I said. :) I was worried I wouldn't be able to put what I wanted to say coherently because I have such a passionate love for him. It's rather difficult to describe your favorite character, as I've come to find out. I do love his loyalty and friendship. Definitely one of my favorite things about him. (Beside his hair. XD)

      (Oh good, I consider my work done here. ;D) She is such an incredible character, I agree. The characters that never give up hope truly are inspirational to me.

      HE IS AMAZING! I love Frodo so much. <3 (Awww, so glad to have brought you happiness! People deserve to know about that delightful gem of a post! :D) You obviously explained your reasons much better than I did, but I did try to sound like I knew what I was doing, hehe. ;D Thanks very much!

      Isn't it, though? I love antiheroes, but real heroes are the ones my heart will always and forever adore. The fact that they desire to do what's right is such a beautiful thing!

      AWWW, I LOVE MERRY, TOO! It's too bad that he's often forgotten because there's so many great things about him to admire. Especially his love and loyalty for his friends. <3

      Thanks for the lovely comment, Miss March!

      Delete
  15. OKAY. So this post is epic and amazing and made me oodles of happy. Buuuuut, I must away to find my long-forgotten gold--er, practice piano and pack for a trip and clean bathrooms and do chemistry and all that rot. So unfortunately I haven't time to comment properly. God willing, I shall do that very soon :)

    (BUT BEFORE I GO YOU INCLUDED ARWEN AND THAT JUST MAKES ME LOVE YOU EVEN MOOOOOORRRRRRREEEEE, okay, I'm leaving now so I don't weird you out so much as to block me or anything. I'm not really as creepy as I sometimes sound :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS FOR DROPPING A NOTE, DEARIE. I understand that life can be annoying at times, seeing as it has the audacity to interrupt such an important task as commenting on a LotR post. ;) But I loved receiving your comment anyhow!

      (AHHHH, YES, I DID. BECAUSE SHE IS LOVELY AND AMAZING AND JUST THE BESTEST. But golly, girl! Block you? Whatever would I do that for? Psssh, you're not being creepy at all. Your comment is lovely in every sense of the word. *hugs*)

      Also, I just replied to like almost 50 comments tonight so I feel powerful. XD

      Delete

Hey, look at you. You found the comments section. *applauds* So proud.

Now, if you're nice and keep your comment clean, I miiiiight just give you a cookie. *grins*