Well, well, well. What do we have here? Another BP post?
Yup, that's right, guys. I'm finally doing another Beautiful People. *cue thunderous applause* I didn't do the March version...mostly because
Beautiful People is a link-up for writers hosted by the ever-illuminating Sky and Cait. THEY ARE FANTASTIC DRAGONS, AND YOU MUST CHECK THEM OUT POST-HASTE. The link-up is open until the end of the month so feel free to drop by and snag these questions.
I was trying to decide which character to focus on in this edition. I did the February version on Charlotte and James, and I figured I should let them off the hook for a while. (There was much whining and complaining on Charlotte's part before she finally got her way.) But I still wanted to do one with a character from my WIP so I settled on a character I haven't introduced to you guys yet.
|This is the only picture I could find that|
resembled him so...enjoy. XD (source)
Because you obviously want to know more about my darling little squishy, here's a (very unedited) snippet I wrote recently.
Tom stabbed his slab of meat with vigor, sawing it furiously with his knife. “But I don’t really understand how someone could be interested in such an odd profession when there are plenty of other more…shall I say, useful occupations?”
James looked up from his bread and stared quizzically at Tom. “What kind of useful occupations?”
“Oh, well that’s easy.” Tom shoved a mammoth-sized bite of chicken in his mouth, struggling to chew it and talk at the same time. “Thersh shtuff like food, for inshtansh,” he said, his voice muffled by the copious amount of food in his mouth.
James winced and turned back to his own food. “Tom, do you have to explain to me while you…do whatever you’re doing?”
Tom swallowed audibly and chugged down a big gulp of water. “It’s called eating, James. Seriously, you’d think you’d never seen a guy enjoy his meal before.”
James rolled his eyes as Tom just sat there flashing his pearly whites.
“As I was saying, you could invest your time in more profitable arts.” He bit into a roll and continued talking. “Like eating.”
“Stop that,” James groaned, reaching for the bread basket and taking it away from his friend before he ate the bowl along with the rolls. Tom exclaimed something unintelligible and lunged for them before James could take them completely out of reach. Tom managed to grab three more rolls and pile them on his already overflowing plate.
“There is more to life than food, Tom.”
Tom continued inhaling the bread. “What, for inshtansh?”
“Well, there’s pursuing your path in life—”
“Food ish my paf in life.”
Tom reached for another roll, but upon realizing there were no more on the table, gazed despondently down at his breadless plate. He pouted for a second before something caught his interest.
“Say, James, I have a very serious question to ask you.”
James straightened a bit in his seat and fixed his eyes on his friend. “What is it?”
“Are you going to eat all that?”
Isn't he the best??? I seriously didn't expect him to develop into such a hilarious charrie. He was only supposed to be a very, very minor character, but I think he's trying to take over my story now. *glares at Tom* *Tom grins and stuffs another roll in his mouth*
On to the questions!
|Why yes. Yes, you are.|
2.) What is the cruelest thing they’ve ever been told? And what was their reaction? Probably that there is more to life than food. *points back at snippet* Or that he is waaay too happy all the time. He hasn't met Charlotte yet, though, so...it's gonna get worse, buddy. XD If his feelings are really, really hurt (which doesn't happen very often), he would only eat like three rolls instead of his usual seven. But he's got to be REALLY depressed for his food consumption to plummet. :P
3) What is the kindest thing they’ve ever been told? And what was their reaction? You mean besides "You can have my dessert"? Um...well, James and Tom are really close friends. I'm sure James has remarked on occasion how grateful he is to know Tom...to which Tom would respond by saying, "Isn't everybody?" Gosh, he's such a big ham.
4) What is one strong memory that has stuck with your character from childhood? Why is it so powerful and lasting? Surprisingly enough, this character doesn't have a tragic backstory. *GASP* Yes, I know. Totally out-of-character (get it? out-of-character? I know, I'm hilarious.) for a writer. So no tragic memories. His are all pleasant ones, mostly of his family and food.
He used to live in the English countryside with his family and would go blueberry picking with them in the summer. (I told you, it's all about the food.) Now that he lives in the city, he thinks a lot about the things they did in the country as a family.
5) What book (a real actual published book!) do you think your character would benefit from reading? Um...Cooking Basics for Dummies? I honestly don't think he'll read a book unless it's somehow correlated with food. Plus, he doesn't know how to cook--though his eating skills are finely tuned--so it would definitely come in handy. *nods*
|THIS IS WHAT TOM DOES|
6) Have they ever been seriously injured? How severely? How did they react? Considering this is a pirate novel, you'd probably expect me to say that he was shot in the heart five times or had his leg cut off or something. But really the worst injury he experienced was a black eye. Although he has terrible pain tolerance (worse than me, which is saying something), he always tries to act like it doesn't it hurt. Usually that means his face contorts into a weird grimacing smile, and he cracks a corny joke.
7) Do they like and get along with their neighbours? I think we all know the answer to this. Tom is a social butterfly and smiles virtually nonstop. He likes his neighbors for the most part, though he's a bit disgruntled with James's employer. (For good reason.) So yeah, he likes his neighbors as long as they don't mess with his loved ones. He's a ham, but he's a protective one.
8) On a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being easy and 10 being difficult) how easy are they to get along with? It totally depends on the person. Some people find he's uber annoying, some think he's hilarious, and some think he belongs in a mental institute. But as a whole, he is well-liked. (I mean, how could you NOT love him??) I'd say a 7 out of 10.
9) If they could travel anywhere in the world, where would they go? He has an Irish background so he would really love to visit Ireland. Oh, and of course he would love to visit the place where he grew up, too. But other than that, he's pretty happy staying at home.
10) Who was the last person they held hands with? Definitely not his girlfriend. XD He has literally no romantic interest. So I guess one of his younger siblings? He has a big family and is often in charge of the younger kids when his parents or older sister is busy.
Well, that's my Tom. He's got a big head but a big heart. (And he also may like food a teeny bit...thought it's difficult to tell.) I really love him, despite his ego. (Just make sure you don't tell him that because his head's already swelled to the size of a hot air balloon.)