Monday, April 25, 2016

Book Review: Lady Moon {Rachel Starr Thomson}

http://www.amazon.com/Lady-Moon-Improbable-Unpredictable-Things-ebook/dp/B007XJGAB4/ref=sr_1_18?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1461636903&sr=1-18&keywords=rachel+starr+thomson

Hey, guys! I'm back again with a verrrry important post...my first book review! *throws cake in the air and devours confetti or something like that*

Yep, so this is going to be my rambling, nonsensical, flailing completely professional book review of one of my latest reads, Lady Moon by Rachel Starr Thomson. In case you have no idea what this book is about, here is a synopsis which I borrowed from Amazon because I'm a generous little bookdragon who likes to spoil you guys.

<><><><><>

When Celine meets Tomas, they are in a cavern on the moon where she has been languishing for thirty days after being banished by her evil uncle for throwing a scrub brush at his head. Tomas is a charming and eccentric Immortal, hanging out on the moon because he’s procrastinating his destiny—meeting, and defeating, Celine’s uncle.

A pair of magic rings send them back to earth, where Celine insists on returning home and is promptly thrown into the dungeon. Her uncle, Ignus Umbria, is up to no good, and his latest caper threatens to devour the whole countryside. He doesn’t want Celine getting in the way. More than that, he wants to force Tomas into a confrontation—and Tomas, who has fallen in love with Celine, cannot procrastinate any longer.

Lady Moon is a madcap, romantic adventure brimming with humor, in a world populated by mad magicians, walking rosebushes, thieving scullery maids, and other improbable things. And of course, the most improbable—and magical—thing of all: true love.

Rachel Starr Thomson is also the author of Taerith, The Seventh World Trilogy (Worlds Unseen, Burning Light, and Coming Day), and other novels and short stories.
(source)


 <><><><><>

Isn't that the most delicious synopsis ever??? Ack, it's just da best. <3

In case that isn't enough to convince you that this book = gingerbread, here are some of my (obviously very authoritative) thoughts on the matter.

The Review


I. Loved. This. Book.

I kid you not, I was hooked from the first paragraph. It's just that good. And you wanna know why I liked it so much? The humor.

In case you weren't aware, I love feel-good stories. I've mentioned in the past that there are just some stories that give me all the warm fuzzy feels. This is one of them. The way that the author masterfully entwines humor throughout the pages of this book boggled my mind and had me laughing so hard that I accidentally let my iPad fall on my neck and suffocate me. (True story. XD) In a way, it pokes fun at the traditional fairytale trope. You know, the stories where the damsel is in distress, the villain is making dastardly plans to topple the world, and the prince meets the princess and marries her like 24 hours after they meet. Don't get me wrong, I love me some fairytales. But when a story like this comes along and has fun with that stereotype, I can't help but adore it all the more.

But don't take my word for it; see for yourself how hilarious this book is.

It is always more surprising to see a dead person alive that it is to see a live person not dead.
One did not simply go around flinging oneself off of buildings and into fires when one was needed to save the world.
It was one of the disadvantages of being humanoid that a beak in the back of the head was disorienting. 
Gah, I love this book.

Not only was it delightfully hilarious, but it was also completely whimsical. It reminded me of Alice in Wonderland in a way. There were walking rosebushes, flammable cats, and barking birds. I'm telling you, it's awesome. There's really no genre that this novel fits into--it's so fresh and new and unique that I honestly don't know how to classify it.

But good gravy, we haven't even mentioned the characters yet. If for nothing else, read it for the characters. They are delightful things. There's Tomas, the insatiably happy Immortal; Celine, the scrub-bush throwing princess with a wombat for a friend; Sir Brian, the chivalrous suit of armor; and even Ignus Umbria, the power-hungry (if not a bit silly) magician. I loved them all. YES, EVEN THE VILLAIN. He was kinda lovable, I gotta be honest. XD

By far my favorite character was Tomas. He's so dang happy all the time. It's just inherent of him to smile--even if his offer of marriage has just been refused. HE'S REALLY THE BESTEST LITTLE CHARRIE. I adore him so much that I did a sketch of him the other day.

(Feast your eyes on my masterpiece. ;D)

Ms. Thomson has such a good writing style. It's the perfect blend of description, wit, and charm. I found myself right at home whenever I picked up this book and read it. And believe me, when an author can do that, you know she's good. I didn't feel bored or antsy due to excessive description, yet I had a good enough grip on the setting and characters that I wasn't disoriented.

If you're looking for a deep, philosophical book then you're not going to find that in Lady Moon. But if you're looking for a whimsical, hilarious trip to another world, then you've come to the right place. My only complaint is that there was a bit of head-hopping going around. I noticed on occasion that the author would switch from one character's head to another in the midst of a scene. It didn't bother me that much, though, and I could still lose myself in the dreamy world without a problem. The book was delightfully clean--no language, violence, or sexual content. DOUBLE WIN.

So what are you waiting for, lovelies? GO GET THIS BOOK POSTHASTE. Um...please. :P Because you won't regret it.

Final consensus: Five stars

(You can check out my slightly-less jumbled review here on Amazon.)

Oh, and Ms. Thomson is currently holding a giveaway for a Kindle Paperwhite and a slew of Christian fantasy books. You can enter it right HERE. Yes, right there. That's right. Just click the link. Please. For me.

Did you click it? Okay, good.


16 comments:

  1. This book sounds simply scrumptious. I must read it at once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. You must, precious, you must. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh goodness, this book sounds SO INCREDIBLY GOOD. It is going on my TBR list THIS VERY MINUTE :D. It just sounds so deliciously amazing! Definitely something I would enjoy *nods*.

    And for the record, I clicked on the link :D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT REALLY IS AMAZING. Definitely my favorite April read. You neeeeed to have Lady Moon in your life.

      Well, aren't you the five-star friend? :D

      Delete
  3. Okay. I have to read this. I've heard about Rachel Starr Thomson a bit recently (and I joined her email list when Bryan Davis had a contest thing announced on his blog... I think it was for the Amazon gift-card giveaway?). Anyway, I've heard of her, but have yet to pick up any of her books. This one sounds positively scrumptious. ^_^

    And, being the immensely gracious dragon I am, I'm clicking your link rather than the one in the email Ms. Thomson sent out. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TRACEY. I think you would ADORE this book! I really do. I've heard several people describe it as scrumptious, and I think that's perfect. It's like devouring gingerbread.

      Hehe, thank you, my dear scaly friend. We bookdragons must help each other out, mustn't we? :D

      Delete
  4. Oooo it sounds like a good one!! Yay, congrats on your first book review!! Here's to many more!! *cheers* =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's SO good! Much squealing and flailing may or may not have occurred during the reading of this book. (I'm not telling... ;D) And thank you! I hope to write many more in the future. :)

      Delete
  5. This is a book you recommended to me recently, isn't it? Because the synopsis sounded positively delicious! But now your review! *flails* I NEED THIS. Hilarious, whimsical, nonsensical books are my faaaaavorite.

    MUST. HAVE.

    (Also, your drawing is adorable! You are so talented! I can't even make a stickman look right. XD Drawing is, sadly, not my thing...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesssss, it is! I was actually thinking of you when I read this book. It was so whimsical and fun that it just screamed Lauri at me. XD (Noisy book, isn't it?) YOU MUST READ THIS POSTHASTE.

      (*blushes* Awww, thank you, girl! It's not my best work, but I'm still rather pleased with how my little Tomas turned out. ^_^ And psssh, I'm sure you're not all THAT bad. I've seen your painted pumpkin after all. *nods*)

      Delete
  6. Good book review! (And I'm always in awe of people who can draw anything other than stick figures...)
    I stumbled across your lovely blog and thought I'd leave a comment. ;) Your blog is adorable!
    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you muchly! (Hehe, it's not beautiful by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm still happy with it.)

      Awww, aren't you the sweetest! I hope you stick around a while. There are free cookies so...why not? :D

      Delete
  7. Yay for another person just venturing into book reviews :) It was an excellent one. And it's so nice to get books I've never heard of recommended. I never trust myself when choosing new books. :P

    Also, I"m working on a Blogs I Follow page type thing. Do you have an image (your header/a button?) that you want me to use with yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, yes! You just did your first book review a couple weeks ago, didn't you? Well, we shall be newbies together. :)
      Thank you so much! I usually prefer to read books that I've had recommended to me by friends, but sometimes I'll stumble across a book like this and just HAVE to read it.

      That's so kind of you to ask! I don't have a button yet (I still haven't figured out how to make one...), but when I do, I would be most honored to be featured on your blog. :D

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for this awesome review! Seriously, this is the reason I keep writing. So glad you loved LADY MOON :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're most welcome! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed it! :)

      Delete

Hey, look at you. You found the comments section. *applauds* So proud.

Now, if you're nice and keep your comment clean, I miiiiight just give you a cookie. *grins*