Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Period Drama Challenge ~ Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)

Oh. My. Word. This movie is just...asdjlgfhdl. I LOVE IT SO MUCH!

When I saw it the first time, I really wasn't much of a fan. I thought it was too weird and decided not to waste my time watching it again. BUT I talked some sense into myself and popped it back into our DVD player one day last month. AND GUYS. There's no going back now. I am obsessed.

Anyway. On to the review! (There will be an unholy number of exclamation points, caps, and fangirling in this post. You have been warned ;))



In the follow-up to Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, we find our heroes Will Turner (Bloom) and Eizabeth Swann (Knightley) allied with Captain Barbossa (Rush) in a desperate quest to free Captain Jack Sparrow (Depp) from his mind-bending trap in Davy Jones Locker while the terrifying ghost ship, The Flying Dutchman and Davy Jones, under the control of the East India Trading Company, wreaks havoc across the seven seas. (Summary courtesy of Metacritic because I was too lazy to come up with my own.)

This is the third movie in the Pirates saga and, although not my very favorite (that place of honor belongs to The Curse of the Black Pearl) it is still an epic, heart-wrenching adventure. My heart was literally ripped out as I watched this. It's probably the only Pirates movie I've actually cried during. (Seriously, it was embarrassing.) BECAUSE THE ENDING. If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about. The Not Okay Thing during the maelstrom battle that made me sob. Not. Cool. But as strange as it sounds, if a movie or book makes me cry, I'm almost guaranteed to like it. I have no clue why that it is, but I just really appreciate it when stories connect with me on such a level that I cry. (In case you haven't noticed, I'm a wee bit strange.)



One of my favorite things about this movie is the witty lines it contains. They are so quotable! I find myself walking around the house (attempting to swagger like Jack yet failing miserably) and saying them all the time. What can I say? I just LOVE a good movie quote!

(THIS QUOTE. The genius of it is too much for me to handle.)
This movie certainly boasts a unique cast of characters. Obviously, the characters are pirates so they often have...questionable morals. My personal favorite character is Will Turner. He's sweet and caring and loyal and brave AND I JUST LOVE HIM, OKAY?

(How did that get here? ;))
(Would you look at that, another picture of Will. Strange
how these keep popping out of nowhere.)
(Um, adorable much??)
I'm done now. I promise.


Okay, okay. Now I'm done ;)

As far as the other characters are concerned, I like Elizabeth (though she can be a bit aggravating at times), and Jack can be okay. I know everyone loves Jack, but he's a bit...odd. You can have too much of Jack, if you know what I mean. He's good when balanced out with sensible characters like Will, but a whole movie about him is a little over the top. (I'm referring to On Stranger Tides, which I haven't seen yet. Will and Elizabeth are notably absent, and Jack takes the spotlight, which I'm not all too crazy about. :P) All that to say, Pirates wouldn't be Pirates without Jack so I s'ppose I like him in a weird sort of way.

There's also a certain gentleman named Commodore Norrington. I'll admit, I never liked him until I saw the movies a second time. He definitely doesn't hold a candle to Will (who does?), but I still like him.

The rest of the cast is quite amusing. (Well, other than the villains. They're just plain creepy.) Gibbs is probably my favorite of Captain Jack's crew. Partly maybe because I'm fascinated with his beard?

(See? What did I tell you? Fascinating.)
But the characters aren't the real reason I like this flick. As much as I adore some of these charries (one in particular *ahem*), I really love this movie because of the wit. I know, I know, I mentioned this already (really, I do have the tendency to repeat myself), but the lines are simply delightful. Each one is packed with humor and demands that I quote it.

(Sure, Jack. Sure.)
Then, there's the cinematography. It's incredible! Really all the Pirates films have amazing cinematography, but this one may have the best of the bunch.

Now let's talk about the music.

It. Is. FANTASTIC. I kid you not, the soundtrack for At World's End is almost on the same level of epic as LotR. It's that good! If you haven't checked it out, DO SO RIGHT NOW. Um...please.

And because I love you so much, here's a sample of the epicness (pssh, autocorrect, of course that's a word) this score contains.


Glorious, isn't it? When I first discovered this soundtrack, I had that track on repeat for weeks. XD

Since this is a review for the Period Drama Challenge (which you can still sign up for right HERE!), I'm going to discuss some of the interesting costumes.

You would think that costumes in pirate films wouldn't be all that varied, but AWE really boasts a unique wardrobe. This is no ordinary pirate movie, and the costumes certainly show that.


There's a weird hat that goes with this, but I prefer the costume without it. The armor is so detailed and intricate.


Here's another one of Elizabeth's oriental costumes. Again, kind of odd, but I like the detail.


Yes, I know I already included this picture. But I had to include it twice just so you could see his amazing costume. (What? Of course that's the only reason. I would never include it just so I could look at another picture of Will. Never.) Isn't that red top wonderful?

(For the life of me, I couldn't find a better quality picture. Sorry 'bout that.)
He looks so piratey in this picture. I absolutely adore the bandana. Like I said, very piratey.


Their uniforms are so colorful and crisp and clean. The tri-corner hats, epaulettes (that is what those shoulder decorations are called, isn't it?), and shiny buttons really give them that characteristic Georgian look.

(Again, my apologies. It's not the clearest picture.)
The fabrics they used for these costumes are gorgeous. I especially like the green outfit Governor Swann is wearing.


This is actually part of the oriental costume I mentioned above, but you couldn't really see this part all that well. The details, the details...

I feel like there are more costumes I'm forgetting. Ah, well. You'll just have to watch the movie and see for yourself. :)

This review is turning into a monster. But just a few more things I need to address before I release you.

CONTENT

This film is rated PG-13 for a reason. It has a lot of violence, a few curse words, and a couple "sticky scenes." What I mean by "sticky scenes" are when the pirates make Elizabeth remove all her gear except a long shirt, a couple "peeking toms" try to look up at Elizabeth through holes in the floor, and one of the pirates forces a kiss on Elizabeth. (The last one I mentioned is interrupted before anything else happens, fortunately.) The scenes are really short and glossed over. Definitely not as bad as the material most PG-13 films would include, but still something to think about. There are also several other kisses and *MINOR SPOILER* a scene between Will and Elizabeth after they're married when Will is touching Elizabeth's uncovered leg. *END SPOILER* When I put it all down like that, it makes it sound awful. But I promise I wouldn't have watched this movie if it had a lot of sexual scenes.

So definitely not something you'd want to show little kids. There wasn't a whole lot of language, only a couple words that are easily muted. But the biggest thing I would really touch on would be the violence. It wasn't graphic, but there was quite a lot of it. The crew of The Flying Dutchman is also creepy and weird.

All that aside, I do adore this movie. I still think it's weird, but a lot of  the strangeness really surrounds Jack. (Surprise, surprise.) It's not everyone's thing (my own family doesn't like it much), but I personally enjoy it extensively. It's hilarious, exciting, fun, and emotional. All good things. (Well, except for the emotional aspect. I was a trainwreck of feels during this movie.)

So what about you, fellow wanderers? Have you seen this movie? If so, who is your favorite character? (I bet you'll NEVER guess mine...)

 

 



9 comments:

  1. Pirates of the Caribbean has long been a favorite. Though that Will Turner, I can't stand him. He's the worst. ;) That picture of him wearing a bandana looking all swashbuckling, it's awful. :D
    I have to say, in this movie, my favorite character is...Will. I tried to think of someone better, but I couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, obviously I don't like him either. I just posted all those pictures of him to torture myself ;)

      Will is the best! Honestly, I've loved him the most since the first film. He's just too wonderful for words <3

      Delete
  2. Will is definitely my favorite too! I get where you're coming from concerning Elizabeth and Jack. Elizabeth isn't my personal favorite. She's ok. And I agree you can have too much of Jack. As for On Stranger Tides, it's really good. True, Jack is the "main" character, but there are others in it. I personally really liked it. I would definitely recommend it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for another Will fan! And yeah, I do actually like Elizabeth. Just not nearly as much as Will. (Shocking, I know.)

      I probably will watch On Stranger Tides eventually. I actually know several people who really liked it so I'm planning on seeing it at some point. :)

      Delete
  3. This movie was really good! It will never, ever, ever hold a candle to the first one (in my humble opinion). This one and the 2nd kind of took away the fun, swashbuckling charm the first movie had and turned everything so dark and complicated. Sometimes I think they went too far with it. BUT, with that said, I did really love this one.

    My, my, Mary. I think your blog has been hacked. Will pics are just popping everywhere. XD

    Will is AMAZING. Although, I'm going to be honest here, Jack is my favorite. I actually have this complete love for entirely loony characters. Those ones who are kind of in their own world, a little spaced out and crazy. I just love 'em! And Jack fits that to a T. So yes, I adore him, but I can understand him not being everyone's cup of tea.
    Elizabeth I go back and forth on. I like her for the most part, but she does annoy me on a lot of things.
    Oh! And we can't forget Barbosa. He's great. XD

    I am with you on movies that make me cry!! If a book/movie/TV show makes me cry there's a 96.4% I'll like it more because of it. You are not alone! We'll just be weird together.

    Anyways, I loved your review. There ARE so many quotable lines, it's just great. And that soundtrack. ACK. It's epic, that's the only word that describes it properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I completely agree with you. The Curse of the Black Pearl will always remain my favorite. I enjoy the other ones as well, but they definitely strayed from the feel of the first film.

      Oh dear. I wonder how that happened? ;)

      Somehow I knew you would like Jack the best. XD He's not my personal favorite (guess who is *COUGH*), but he does add a certain levity to the movies that only he can add.
      Same here. My general consensus is that I like her, despite the aggravating things she does sometimes.
      My sister likes him a lot. XD

      I'm sitting here laughing because of the precise percentage you came up with. XDDD But yes! Crying buddies again!

      Thank you! The soundtrack is sooo epic! I can't even tell you how many times I've listened to it.

      Delete
  4. Haha, just watched the first two for the FIRST TIME (what is wrong with me anyway? I am the only person in the world who has not watched all these movies... I would tell you that it's because I simply don't think of it but that sounds SO LAME!) and anyway - HILARIOUS!!!

    From start to finish I am cackling. :) Not kidding.

    Jack!!! I mean, Johnny Depp... is KIND OF MY CRUSH OF ALL TIME AHEM. So yeah, Jack is THE BEST.

    Anyway, I MUST see this movie to see how it ends. Because this movie will be the end for me - not even going to bother with watching "the weird ones". :)

    I like Norrington also, and Will is better in these than he was in the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies so that's something. I hate Elizabeth passionately.

    BASICALLY I MUST SEE THIS MOVIE NOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't even feel bad about it! Honestly, there are a lot of people who haven't seen them. But I'm so glad you finally got around to viewing the first two films! (And hopefully enjoyed them?)

      That's always a good sign. ;D

      Hehe, well, that makes sense that you would like him then. I've never been much of a Johnny Depp or Jack person, but I have to admit, Jack can be quite humorous at times. XD

      YOU NEEEED TO SEE IT. It's actually quite odd (and I really didn't care for it the first time I saw it), but I love it now. :)

      I LOVE WILLLLL. (And personally, Legolas is my favorite character of all time. Not even kidding. Of course, Will Turner is right up there with Legolas. :D) I also do like Elizabeth, though she can be annoying at times. It's quite surprising how many people really don't like her. :/

      YES, YOU MUST. AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK OF IT WHEN YOU DO.

      Delete
    2. Hahaha, absolutely! In a this-is-in-no-way-serious-enough-to-ever-be-my-favorite kind of way...

      Gah. He's adorable and hilarious and so talented... just imagine how you feel about Orlando Bloom and apply it to Johnny Depp, basically. :)

      I can't say I understand your passion for Bloom... I mean, he's hot, obviously... but not much else if you ask me. :)

      Haha. My brother tease me that I don't like any females in movies. It's mostly true. I'm very hard on fictional females. :) I guess I just can't stop thinking how differently I would do things, ya know?

      I WILL!

      Delete

Hey, look at you. You found the comments section. *applauds* So proud.

Now, if you're nice and keep your comment clean, I miiiiight just give you a cookie. *grins*