Friday, February 12, 2016

Lovely Books and Valentine's Miscellany

Upon realizing I probably wouldn't have time to post this weekend, I quickly scrambled to come up with something during the week. Valentine's Day is this Sunday, causing me to squint at my calendar in disbelief. (My poor brain is so confuzzled; it still thinks January is being sneaky and taking the alias of February.) Since I love Valentine's so much, I knew I had to post something about it.

I started compiling a Valentine's Day playlist on Spotify (what, doesn't everybody?) so here's a sample of Valentine's music for you guys.



This is like my favorite scene ever in an animated movie. It's just...just...*flails*. I couldn't possibly write a Valentine's post without including this scene. Because it's basically the sweetest, most romantic thing in existence.  <3


In case any of you didn't know, Francesca Battistelli is probably my favorite singer. Her music is so wonderful and encouraging. This song in particular I think is lovely and perfectly suited to Valentine's Day.


This soundtrack is beautiful. It's one of my favorite soundtracks, ranking up there with Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean. Of course, it shouldn't come as a surprise since I seem to find a way to mention this movie in nearly every post I write. (Not even sorry. XD)

Aaand, I stumbled across this photo of donuts on Pinterest. They looked yum so I naturally decided to tantalize you all with them. You're welcome.

(I'm drooling over here.)
This post is realllly beginning to look unprofessional (ha, who am I kidding? Every post I write is unprofessional) so let's get on to what all you bookish people were really looking forward to.

My friend Tracey over at Adventure Awaits (which is essentially sunshine in blog form) has recently started a linkup called Lovely Books (which you can check out HERE). Since February is the month of love, she decided to share the book love every Saturday this month with posts featuring some different aspect of books. This week's category was covers and titles. True, what's inside the book matters most, but you have to admit that there's something about a gorgeous cover or title that makes you indescribably happy.

Of course, I obviously couldn't resist. I've been wanting to post something bookish, and Tracey read my mind. (She has telepathic powers, I'm sure of it.) So without further ado, here's a very, very small sampling of my favorite bookish bindings!

(Please note: I don't necessarily endorse the content of all of these books. I just love the covers.)

Lovely Covers

Dreamtreaders by Wayne Thomas Batson
This cover may just be my favorite cover ever. I mean, look at it! Isn't it just drool-worthy? Every cover in the Dreamtreaders series is eye candy, but this one just makes me want to pet it for all eternity.

Liberator by Bryan Davis
This cover redefines the word epic. First of all, there's a dragon. And really that's the only reason you need.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
GUYS. Isn't this cover scrumptious? I received this copy for Christmas and may or may not have squealed. It even has the same delightful style of illustrations throughout the story. SO PWETTY.

Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie
I positively LOVE this cover! It's not particularly detailed (more minimalistic in design), but it's gorgeous. I received this for Christmas as well. (Hehe, I'm a bit obsessed with books.)

Illusionarium by Heather Dixon
Let me just die over here. Because THIS COVER. Like, how am I expected to take in all the wonderosity of it??

The Captive Maiden by Melanie Dickerson
Every cover Melanie Dickerson binds her books with is jaw-droppingly (hush, it's a word) beautiful. This is one of my favorites; I just love the gown and the colors.

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Okay, so technically this isn't just the cover. You can see the side of the book, but I really needed to include this one. 'Tis gorgeous! My book-loving heart may have been a bit crushed when I realized this copy isn't available from Barnes & Noble anymore.

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Again, I'm kind of cheating, but does it matter? Because when you see a cover like this with all the beautiful greens and golds and flowers, how can you ignore it?


Cascade by Lisa T. Bergren


Asdkfldhfj. Isn't this cover gorgeous? I love the colors, the dress, and the beautimous medieval feel of it. JUST YES.

Beyond the Reflection's Edge by Bryan Davis
Let's be honest here: having a violin on a book cover automatically makes that cover awesome. It just does. Case in point.
 
Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headley
I debated over whether or not I should include this cover because I was concerned you guys would think I'm endorsing the content. (In case you're wondering, it does have some issues with content.) But...but...THAT COVER. Oh my goodness! It is so ethereal and lovely.

A Draw of Kings by Patrick W. Carr
Not sure what it is about this cover, but I like it. Castles and lightning go well together, don't you think?

Search for the Shadow Key by Wayne Thomas Batson
I couldn't just pick one Wayne Thomas Batson book to include, now could I? His new Dreamtreaders series has especially breathtaking covers. They make me want to pet them.

An Uncertain Choice by Jody Hedlund
Because medieval castles + long flowing gowns + gorgeous lettering = happiness

The End of All Things by Jill Williamson
Do I love it? Um, yes I do.

Passenger by Alexandra Bracken
I know Tracey included this in her post, but I instantly fell in love with this cover. JUST LET ME HAVE THIS BOOK, OKAY??

The Sky Riders by Christopher Hopper
This one's a bit different than the others I've included. It has an antique, weathered look to it that I really like. Plus, I mean, there's a skyship so...

Kingdom's Edge by Chuck Black
Gosh, this cover is epic. I read the first three books in this series (which were kind of meh), but the covers are absolutely stunning.

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
I've fallen head-over-heels for these new Puffin in Bloom books. The artwork is so whimsical and fun.

Lovely Titles




~ Hangman's Curse by Frank Peretti

~ Tess of the D'Ubervilles by Thomas Hardy

~ Moonlight Masquerade by Ruth Axtell

~ The Errant King by Wayne Thomas Batson

~ The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis

~ The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien

~ Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers

~ The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot

~ Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll

~ Glamorous Illusions by Lisa T. Bergren

~ Lady Moon by Rachel Starr Thomson

~ Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

The Cloister and the Hearth by Charles Reade

~ Starlighter by Bryan Davis

The Dark Unwinding by Sharon Cameron

Starflower by Anne Elisabeth Stengl

~ Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

I know there are dozens and dozens of other titles that I love, but for sake of time, I'll stop there. There really isn't any rhyme or reason to the titles I like. I usually go for the unusual titles, the ones with a word that I don't see used very often (The Errant King, Gaudy Night). Sometimes titles with the character's name in it (Anna Karenina, Tess of the D'Ubervilles) will catch my eye. Like I said, it's pretty random

Many thanks to the wonderful Tracey Dyck for starting this linkup! This post is a bit late in publication (I was supposed to write it on Wednesday *cough*), but hey, at least I got it finished! ;)

I'm leaving you with this Studio C sketch because you lovely readers deserve all the awesome things. (Warning: Studio C is highly addictive. Don't come to me with your complaints if you whittle away two hours on YouTube.)


What are some of YOUR favorite book covers and titles? Any specific things you like to do for Valentine's Day? (And if you don't like Valentine's Day...I'm sorry.)

21 comments:

  1. I See the Light is one of the most enviable Disney moments. And a Hundred More Years has been one of my favorite songs for a long time. I want it to play at my wedding.
    Now I want donuts. :)
    All of those covers are simply lovely, but I have to say my favorite is the Chronicles of Narnia cover. I have a bit of an obsession with the Chronicles of Narnia, and that cover is like something I feel like would be in an old library just waiting to be found.
    I've watched Operation Breakup so many times I almost have it memorized. "Butterfly...of sadness." This sketch gets me every time. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knowwww! I love that part so much <333 "A Hundred More Years" is beautiful. It would be the perfect song to play at a wedding.
      Bwahaha! My nefarious plan worked ;)

      Isn't it scrumptious? It's my favorite cover I've seen for The Chronicles of Narnia so far. I was disappointed when I found out it wasn't at Barnes & Noble anymore.

      It's one of my favorite Studio C sketches! "Stop! I want to talk about cheese." XD

      Delete
  2. The books! Oooo I love the Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Narnia, and Anne of Green Gables! So pretty! You like Frank Pertti too? I haven't read Hangman's Curse, but my sister has. Delightful post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I instantly fell in love with all of them <3 Yes, I do! I haven't read a whole of his books, but I've enjoyed all the ones I have. Hangman's Curse is a great read! So suspenseful.

      Thanks, Morgan! :)

      Delete
  3. Okay, okay! Where do I even start? I love this post! So much drool-worthyness.

    I See the Light! I have the soundtrack and play it all the time. I'd love to play that at my wedding. Wouldn't that be great? GAH. So pretty!

    Oh man, those donuts. I just had supper and yet those are making me hungry again. *droools*

    Now then BOOKS!!! *drools some more* (See? All the drool-worthyness.)

    All of these are so gorgeous I want to comment on every single one, but I'll try to resist.

    THE ALICE IN WONDERLAND ONE!!! I collect Alice in Wonderland books. I'm OBSESSED with all things Wonderland. Like...so obsessed. I want that copy! O__O And I like Peter Pan as much as AiW. *huggles books*
    Illusionarium is like one of the prettiest covers EVER.
    And that copy of Narnia and Sense and Sensibility. Agghhh. TOO MUCH PRETTINESS!
    I just love all these so much! Those are fabulous titles as well.

    This is turning into a monster comment but I have to say one more things. STUDIO C! *squeals* I recently discovered them and oooh my goodness. They're hilarious!

    Thank you so much for sharing. I'm hoping to join in on the cover/title thing Monday. Can't wait! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah, girl, you're da sweetest thing <3

      I looooove that song so much! AND YESH. It would make the most beautiful wedding song <333

      Hehe. Somehow I knew you would like them ;)

      I was drooling over them even as I wrote this post. XD They are so pwetty!

      ISN'T IT GLORIOUS? I was ecstatic when I received it as a gift for Christmas. And the Peter Pan book is possibly the favorite book I have on my shelf. (Which is really saying quite a lot.) It's the most gorgeous thing ever! You'd have to see it in person to understand how beautiful it is.
      I have found myself sitting and staring at that cover on more than one occasion. XD
      I knowwww! I'm dying of all the prettiness.
      Thanks so much! I'm glad I made you drool :D

      I honestly love seeing every single one of your comments. All comments make me happy, whether long or short! AND STUDIO C, OH MY GOODNESS. They are the funniest thing ever! (And incredibly addicting. *cough, cough*)

      You're welcome! I look forward to seeing your post!!!

      Delete
  4. So much PRETTY!!! I actually quite adore the cover for Illusionarium - I've never heard of the book before now and with my record for loving pretty things you can bet it's going on my to-read list :D I read the blurb on Goodreads and ... seriously, parallel worlds? count me in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah, Illusionarium has such a fabulous cover! (And an equally amazing story inside that cover. I'm currently reading it, and it's amaaazing.)

      Thanks so much for commenting!

      Delete
  5. There's so much awesomeness I must comment in list form!

    1. I love all three musical pieces you included. Hundred More Years is gorgeous.

    2. Those donuts! Girl, I'm waiting for a late lunch right now, and you show me a picture like that?? The cruelty! XD

    3. SO. MANY. BEAUTIFUL. COVERS. *faints* I especially love the classic look of Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, The Chronicles of Narnia, Sense and Sensibility, and Anne of Green Gables. Covers like those instantly give a bookshelf some class, in my opinion. :D And I'm so happy to see you mention Beyond the Reflection's Edge--that trilogy doesn't get enough love! (You play violin, right? That must make the books twice as dear to you.) Okay, I really want to read those books by Patrick Carr. They look awesome! Same with Christopher Hopper's steampunk book!

    4. Ooh, great titles! Have you read The Dark Unwinding?

    5. Studio C. Oh gracious, yes. My family and I love their stuff!

    6. All the sweet things you said--thank you! <333 And many thanks for linking up, too! I love your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Glad you found lots of things to comment on :)

      1. It's one of my favorite love songs. So beautiful <3

      2. HAHAHAHA! Success! ;)

      3. They really do! Gorgeous classics make my heart happy. (I just wiped out a few bookstores last month when I purchased half the classics section. XD) That cover is incredible, isn't it? (And yes, I do! I about died the first time I saw the synopsis for those books. Love at first sight.) Those are all on TBR list as well! Gah, there are just so many lovely books demanding I read them.

      4. I haven't read it yet, but my library has it so I'm considering checking it out. It looks fabulous!

      5. I'm officially obsessed. They're a novelty--a comedy show that ACTUALLY makes you laugh!

      6. Aww, you're so welcome <333 It makes me so happy you enjoyed my post! Your linkup is great fun!

      Delete
  6. I first saw Tangled a little over a year ago, and I watched only the first half one night, stopping right after "Kingdom Dance." And I was like, "Well, this is nice, but I'm not really loving it." The next night, I started it up again at that same place, and by the end of "I See the Light," I was in tears, and completely in love with the movie, Rapunzel, and Eugene. (And now it's one of my favoritest animated movies ever.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That scene...oh my goodness, it's wonderful. I liked the movie the first time I saw it, but it's honestly grown a lot on me over the years. Currently, it's tied with Frozen as my favorite animated movie. So glad you like it as well! :)

      Delete
    2. I had no idea this would happen when I first saw Tangled, but it has now overtaken Frozen in my affections.

      Delete
    3. Wow, that is high praise! Tangled is trying to edge its way past Frozen in my affections, as well. (I have no doubt it's the work of a certain thief with a smolder.) But at the moment, I like them both about equally.

      Delete
    4. The thief with the smolder is pretty irresistible, but for me, it's Rapunzel herself. I like her better than even Anna.

      Delete
    5. I love Rapunzel! She's by far my favorite Disney princess. (Unless you count Elsa, but she's technically a queen.) Really all the characters from Tangled are lovable. Well, except Mother Gothel obviously...

      Delete
  7. Aaaaaaahhh! So much wonderful! (And such a shamefully late comment.)

    You inspired me to compile a Valentine's Day playlist. Just so you know :D

    Oooh! #trueconfessions I actually read this post a while ago, and was waiting for the opportune moment to comment, but I'm planning on doing th cover tag. IT LOOKS SO FUN :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never a rush to comment! I love comments anytime, anywhere!

      Awww, I did? I must admit it was my first time doing it, and I had lots of fun :D

      EEEEEP you totally SHOULD! I had an absolute blast doing it! Also, your use of the phrase "waiting for the opportune moment" brought to mind a quote from Curse of the Black Pearl: "If you were waiting for the opportune moment...that was it." (What can I say, my mind is a strange creature. XD)

      Delete
  8. I have that EXACT copy of The Chronicles of Narnia!

    And I really need to read all the Melanie Dickerson books! I have read a few, but not the one in your post.

    Have you read all of those books you listed the titles of or do you just WANT to read them? Or did you just list them because they sound pretty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *gasps* REALLY?! I wish I could find a copy online, but alas, they don't seem to be making them anymore. *cries*

      Her books are always really fun reads! I definitely recommend reading some more of them. ^_^

      Nope, I haven't actually read them all. I just listed a bunch of titles that I really liked. XD

      Delete
    2. Hmm... the Barnes and Noble at my local mall does this thing every Christmas where they sell all the really super pretty copies of different classics. Usually they get way too many though, so you can even find them when it's not Christmas-time.

      I'm planning on it!

      Haha, I understand. :)

      Delete

Hey, look at you. You found the comments section. *applauds* So proud.

Now, if you're nice and keep your comment clean, I miiiiight just give you a cookie. *grins*