Thursday, February 4, 2016

January Period Drama Challenge Tag

In my post last week, I mentioned that I had joined the Period Drama Challenge hosted by Miss Laurie. (It's not too late to join if you're interested, by the by!) At the end of every month, she comes up with a few questions for the participants to answer, as well as a list of participants and films reviewed. So without further ado, here are my answers to the tag!


1. What period dramas did you view in January?

 
Well, the only one I ended up REVIEWING was Singin' in the Rain (1952). But I did WATCH several others that could fall under the category of period dramas. I was on an adventure kick, so I watched The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003), At World's End (2007), Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984), and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989). (I know, that's a lot of movies--don't judge ;)) Hopefully I'll get reviews out for some of these eventually.
 

2. What is your favorite Charles Dickens film adaptation?

 
As strange as it may seem, I've only actually seen a few Dickens adaptations. I saw Oliver Twist (not sure which one) when I was eight or nine, and I've watched several versions of A Christmas Carol. So I'd probably just say A Christmas Carol. Again, not sure which one because I don't know if I could pick a favorite. They're all semi-equally ranked in my mind.
 

3. Would you rather visit Pemberley (Mr. Darcy's residence) or Downton Abbey (Crawley family residence)? Why?

 
Pemberley all the way! I've actually never seen Downton Abbey for...reasons. But I love everything to do with Pride and Prejudice, and Pemberley is just gorgeous so I'd obviously pick that. (Plus, it's Darcy's residence so I may get to meet him ;))

(I'm afraid I couldn't find a very good picture of it, but 'tis gorgeous, is it not?)
 
 

4. If you could be any character in a Jane Austen novel for a whole day who would you be and why would you want to be that character?

 
Hmmm....that's a tough question. I sadly haven't read all of Miss Austen's lovely novels so I'm not sure I could give a completely accurate answer until I have. For now, I'd say Elizabeth Bennet because she has the wittiest comebacks and, of course, marries Mr. Darcy so...

(As if I could promise that...)
 
 

5. What period dramas are you looking forward to viewing in February 2016?


Well, I just finished The Shop Around the Corner (1940) so keep an eye out for that review. I'm hoping to watch My Fair Lady (1964), North & South (2004), Pride and Prejudice (2005), and possibly Amazing Grace (2006). There may or may not also be a post about the show When Calls the Heart because I need to fangirl about it. That's a lot of movies, I know, but I'm just tentatively throwing those out there.

Well, that's it! If you're interested in joining in the Period Drama Challenge, head on over to Miss Laurie's corner of the internets and let her know. It's been fabulous fun so far! Oh, and the link to the post where this tag came from is right here.

What about you guys? What's your favorite period drama? Favorite period drama character? (If at all possible to choose.)

10 comments:

  1. I love Indiana Jones! Pemberley is gorgeous! I'd pick that one too.

    My favorite period drama??? I don't think I have one. Some that I like are the ones you mentioned. Pride and Prejudice, Pirates, Indiana Jones, and I like Jane Eyre. There are probably more, but that's all I got for now. :)

    Lovely post, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Indiana Jones movies are fun :) This was my first time watching them, actually. I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark a while back and finally watched two of the others last month. (I still have yet to watch The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.) And, yes, Pemberley is beautiful.

      It's so hard to pick, isn't it? Those are all great ones! I haven't seen Jane Eyre yet, but I'm planning on reading the book soon.

      Aw, thank you! <3

      Delete
  2. I would love to live at Pemberley, and even more so if Darcy was there. ;)
    Elizabeth Bennet has become one of my favorite literary characters ever. I've watched North and South, and it was really good. Not P&P good, but still good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, Darcy pretty much seals the deal. ;)

      I love Elizabeth! She's definitely a favorite character of mine. I'm glad to hear you liked North and South. I've heard lots of good things about it, and I really have an itch to watch it.

      Delete
  3. Fun, fun! Take me with you when you visit Pemberley!

    Hmm. I'm not sure how many period dramas I've actually watched... P&P ('05 version) is gorgeous. The Indiana Jones films are fun, though I'd say perhaps the only redeeming quality of "Temple of Doom" was Short Round. XD And I basically just made fun of "Crystal Skull," which is an amusing activity.

    Okay, so I'm Googling a list of period dramas to see if there are others I've watched. Ha. Haha. Apparently "The Croods" counts. XD

    Oh! "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" has got to be one of my favorites. *sniffle* Have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do!

      P&P '05 is BEAUTIFUL! It's one of my most favoritest movies ever. Yeaaah, I like the Indiana Jones movies, but they do have some...issues. *cough, cough* I would have to agree with you on The Temple of Doom. Short Round was essentially the only likable character. The rest of the movie was reallllly creepy and definitely not my favorite of the originals :P I have yet to see The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, but the rest of my family doesn't care for it all that much.

      Wait, The Croods counts? That's certainly news to me! XD

      I haven't! I looked it up, and I can tell it's one of those movies that would make me sob. (Never mind the fact that I cry at commercials. *ahem*)

      Delete
  4. I love Indiana Jones and POTC :-) Looking forward to your February posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're loads of fun! I have a review for At World's End in the works right now :)

      Delete
  5. This post was awesome. I love tags! And the classics, particularly Jane Austen, are the best. Is it too late for me to steal this awesome tag from you? I know it's not January anymore, but . . . ;)

    And you totally have a new follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! And I adore tags as well. So fun! Mhm, Jane Austen is amazing.

      By all means, steal away! This tag is specifically for the Period Drama Challenge (which I linked to in my post), but I'm sure it's all right to take it anyway. And there will be probably another one up in a few days on Miss Laurie's blog if you have the mind to check it out.

      THANK YOU SO MUCH! New followers make me want to leap around (since it's Leap Day, dontcha know) and throw confetti haphazardly. So much happiness! ^_^

      Delete

Hey, look at you. You found the comments section. *applauds* So proud.

Now, if you're nice and keep your comment clean, I miiiiight just give you a cookie. *grins*