Sunday, January 17, 2016

The Nature of Goodness



"God is good all the time; and all the time, God is good."

Goodness. It's such a commonly used word in the English language. We describe pizza as being good. We spend hours poring over a good book. We smile with contentment after finally having a good day at work. But have you ever stopped to really think about what the word "good" means?

Without God, goodness could not exist. We don't have to be taught to make wrong decisions. It just comes naturally. Yet it is in the very nature of God to be good; He cannot stop being good because that would be outside of His perfect nature.

But what does all that mean? What exactly is God's goodness?

Simply put, it is God's favor toward us. It is His gracious extension of mercy towards us when we stray from His will. It's the hand that catches us when we stumble, the arms that envelop us in a loving embrace when we're hurting, the forgiveness that flows through us when we fall. Goodness is God.



Fortunately for us, God never runs out of goodness. No matter how many times we fall short, He always picks us up. Jeremiah 32:40 puts it perfectly when it says, "I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good to them, and I will inspire them to fear me, so that they will never turn away from me."

The truth is, friends: we NEED God's goodness. So very desperately. It's because of it that we have been adopted as sons and daughters into His eternal Kingdom. It was God's goodness that kept Him on the cross 2,000 years ago. Because of His unfailing, unchanging, unlimited goodness, we have Life.



I'm so grateful for His graciousness to us. Because God has great plans for us. Plans to prosper us and not to harm us. Plans to give us hope and a bright future. He works all things for our good, no matter what the world wants us to think. His grace is unfailing. You can bank on that.





8 comments:

  1. Such a good reminder, and a timely one at that. :) Remembering God's goodness is one of the best ways to kick worry to the curb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ma'am! I think we all need a reminder of God's goodness to get our priorities straight.

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful, Mary <3

    Wow, I really like that verse you chose. That's amazing. "I will never stop doing good to them…"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you <3 I'm so glad you liked it!

      Isn't it wonderful? It just fills my heart with an indescribable peace. God is SO good to us!

      Delete
  3. I love this post. It's so beautifully truthful. "His grace is unfailing."
    It is imperative to always remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing that God used me to touch you in some way gives me the greatest joy. So glad you liked this post!

      Delete
  4. What encouraging, beautiful words! It's so true that good is commonly used. I think we use it so much it loses its power, gets watered down. But God IS goodness!

    I love how you said He never runs out of goodness. Isn't that the most encouraging thing? No matter what we do, He'll always be perfect.

    Thank you so much for this. It's a reminder I need often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're so right. I'm definitely guilty of using the word good quite a lot. While there's nothing wrong with that, I do think that we use it so often we forget what it really means.

      It really is! I'm so, so thankful for God's unlimited supply of grace.

      You're welcome! We all need a reminder of this from time to time, I think. It's so easy to focus on our circumstances rather than on Him.

      Delete

Hey, look at you. You found the comments section. *applauds* So proud.

Now, if you're nice and keep your comment clean, I miiiiight just give you a cookie. *grins*