Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Period Drama Challenge ~ Singin' in the Rain (1952)

Hullo again! I have recently joined the Period Drama Challenge over at Miss Laurie's blog. Go check it out! It's going to be a blast! :)

This is my first time doing a movie review, and you can expect to be bombarded with many more in the upcoming months. Just warning you.

Anywhozers (I stole this phrase from Tracey because it's just so wonderful), let's get on to my first review!


Okay. This movie is just...wonderful. I loveth it so much! I hadn't seen it since I was 8 or 9 so I didn't really remember any of it. I was definitely overdue for a rewatch. And to be completely honest, I actually didn't care for it much the first time I saw it. *hides* BUT when I gave it a second go-around, I discovered how delightful this film truly is.

The movie takes place in the Roaring '20s, when the silent movie industry was at the height of its popularity. The sudden success of a talking picture causes quite a turmoil as famous actors Don Lockwood and Lina Lamont have to start making movies with sound. Their first attempt turned out to be a flop, but when Don comes up with the idea of converting the film into a musical, things start to look a little brighter. Just so long as Lina doesn't discover that Kathy Selden is dubbing all her lines and songs.


Watching this movie is like soaking in rays of sunshine. Or...drops of rain, I suppose? (You know, since it's Singin' in the Rain? Yes, yes, I know I'm brilliant. Please hold your applause.) It really is one of those "comfort movies." You know what I'm talking about. The movies you pop into the DVD player when you want to feel all warm and fuzzy inside. It has a wonderful cast, fantastic singing and dancing, and hilarious dialogue. Oh, and there are umbrellas. What else could you ask for?

(Oh, Lina...XD)
In case y'all didn't know, I kind of love musicals. Just a teensy bit. And trust me, this movie has some GREAT songs. They're all so very catchy and fun. My personal favorite is probably "Good Morning," but I of course also love the title song "Singin' in the Rain." Ooh, and the song near the beginning where Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor are singing, dancing, and fiddling (aptly named "Fit as a Fiddle") is another favorite. BASICALLY JUST GIVE ME ALL THE SONGS!


 
As far as the characters are concerned, Lina was hilarious (mainly because she's not exactly the brightest person ever *cough, cough*), Cosmo is super entertaining and fun, and Don and Kathy share a relationship that is adorbs. I love the characters in this film <3
 
(Guys, I mean JUST LOOK AT THIS GIF! Aren't they the best?!)
The costumes were...interesting. I actually found most of them atrocious and was constantly shielding my eyes from them. (Okay, that may be going a biiit to the extreme. But they were still horrid.) Take a look for yourself and tell me what you think.
 
 
I almost feel sorry for putting that picture on my blog.
 
(Yeaaah. Not exactly what I'd call attractive.)
However, I did really like most of Kathy's clothes, and the men had lots of very dashing outfits. Oh, and Lina wore a couple dresses that I actually liked. So the costumes weren't all bad. :)
 
(Isn't this dress the sweetest?)
(Swoonworthy.)
 
I very highly recommend this timeless classic. Seriously, if you haven't seen it, GO WATCH IT RIGHT NOW! You won't regret it. It's family-friendly, has the catchiest songs in existence, and boasts some very, very quotable lines.
 
Just one more picture of Kathy and Don because I can ;)
 
 
Until next time!
 
 

16 comments:

  1. I love the song "Good Morning." The music is great! Fun post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a fun song! And I concur: the music is wonderful! Glad you enjoyed my review!

      Delete
  2. Aww, I need to see this movie. It looks so sweet and fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, it really is! You should definitely give it a watch sometime! :)

      Delete
  3. I...I have a confession to make. I've never actually seen this movie. *cough, cough, cough* Horrid, I know! But now your awesome review is making me want to. It looks way too fun! Those costumes though. XD Too great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually not that surprised. It's a classic, but not something a lot of younger people watch, if you catch my drift. My mom says I'm an "old soul" because I like lots of retro things. XD (Basically a nice way of saying she has a realllly weird daughter! ;)) Yup, it does have some really...interesting costumes. But I'm glad you liked my review! You should most definitely try this film out sometime and tell me what you think. *nods*

      Delete
  4. One of my favorite musicals! The costumes during the "Beautiful Girl" number are definitely wacky, though honestly, if you look at fashions from the '20s, they're pretty on par. I tend to skip that song if I'm in a time-crunch, though, as it adds nothing to the story.

    The soundtrack is overall a dream, though. I used to wake my night-owl brother up in the mornings if we had to go somewhere by sneaking my CD player into his room, setting it to play "Good Morning" on repeat, and then leaving. Gave him something cheerful to wake up to, but he'd have to get out of bed to make it quit repeating, hee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this musical, too! Yeah, the costumes are pretty odd in that scene. Definitely not my style. But a lot of the other costumes in the movie are lovely. :)

      Isn't it?? This movie has some of the catchiest, cheeriest songs I can think of. I just love the music. LOL, that's hilarious! Definitely something a sibling would do. ;)

      Delete
  5. That last god xD

    This movie! I need to rewatch it myself. Your review made me want to ;)

    Ooh, ooh, I really like "Good Morning", too! And "Singin' in the Rain" is my favorite of the songs...I love in the middle, when it's toodling along instrumentally, and then it swells up and the brass comes in full force with the theme...and Gene Kelly's dancing around with an umbrella...GAHH IT MAKES ME HAPPY.

    How you described comfort movies <3 You understand my life.

    Awesome, awesome review! All the eye candy was an added bonus, too...I have to go look this up on Pinterest!

    "*I* am a shimmering, glowing star in the cinema firmament. It says so--right there." I love Lina, a little bit more than I should, I think xD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you liked it! It had been a looong time since I'd seen it, and I'm really happy I gave it another chance.

    I do love that song! "Singin' in the Rain" is so catchy. I've had it stuck in my head for weeks. XD

    Hehe, yup! I understand all about comfort movies.

    Aw, thanks so much! I can never resist the eye candy. I have such a sweet tooth. (Or would it be eye in this case? XD)

    LOL, I love that line! Lina is hilarious so I completely understand your fondness for her. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ack! I fell four whole posts behind! D:

    I've never seen this movie, but it looks adorable. (Speaking of comfort movies, the new Cinderella is definitely one of my happy places. <3)

    Bahaha, you stole "anywhozens." XDDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're so sweet for going back and commenting on all my posts! <333 (Hehe, I typed "pots" at first. XD)

      It IS adorable! Definitely a must-see! (Ooh, that's a wonderful flick! One of my favorite new releases <3)

      HAHAHA! Beware the neologism thief! :D

      Delete
    2. Haha, yes, I'm commenting on all the pots and pans (especially frying pans--such useful things for in the kitchen and on the battlefield)!

      I'll have to keep an eye open for a chance to see it. :)

      Neologism? You just taught me a terrific new word! I love being a neologist. You'd think a writer would have enough real words at her disposal, but nooo. I must make up new ones! XD

      Delete
    3. LOL. Your comment immediately brought the roguish Flynn Rider to mind. "Frying pans! Who knew right?" XD

      Let me know when you do!

      Glad to be of service! Being a neologist is great fun, isn't it?

      Delete
  8. Loved your review! 'Moses supposes' is my favourite number :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm so glad! "Moses Supposes" is fabulous! (Although I say that about all of them. XD)

      Also, welcome to Sunshine and Scribblings! Thanks so much for dropping by and leaving a comment. :)

      Delete

Hey, look at you. You found the comments section. *applauds* So proud.

Now, if you're nice and keep your comment clean, I miiiiight just give you a cookie. *grins*